PDA

View Full Version : nano cube

fishnut321
08/30/2006, 06:10 PM
has anyone tried a clown/anemone pair in a 12 gallon nano cube? The nano cube has 48 watts of pc alittle above a foot from the bottom of the tank.... would that be enough for a bubble tip anemone??? Im a college student so i cant afford a high quality lighting system.... any response will be appreciated, thanks!

bluerug
08/30/2006, 06:12 PM
It sure would be, here is my tank, the exact same as yours.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j281/blue_carpet/anemone012.jpg

bluerug
08/30/2006, 06:14 PM
Got a little hair algae problem but i am working on that right now as we speak. Just ordered some nassarius snails, cucumber, crabs,etc. Time to stock back up on the good old cleaning crew.

jjackson
08/30/2006, 08:16 PM
or stock down on # of fish..../feeding

but nice looking RBTA's

bluerug
08/30/2006, 08:22 PM
Thank you.

ezhoops
08/30/2006, 08:43 PM
Hair algae usually equals high phosphate

only4fudge
08/31/2006, 01:50 AM
veggie tangs eat it right up, mine never stop nibbling on anything algae.

Goodluck to you, and very nice RBTAs, did they clone?

jjackson
08/31/2006, 08:34 AM
yeah lets put a tang in the nano cube, that would be GREAT... I dont think they cloned he put two bags into the tank when he first got them.

nickterp
08/31/2006, 03:05 PM
fishnut321, the lighting is ok for a tank that size, but you should consider the size of the tank for the anemone. Most will advise you not to do this in that size tank. Bluecarpet mentioned in another thread that he had a plan for when his outgrew the tank.

Just consider if its worth the hassle or not and what your plan might be once it outgrows the tank.

Common advice, especially from good sites like this: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/btasysfaqs.htm always advise against BTA's in small tanks.

You have some exprience so that is definitely good, but my advice is wait until you can get that nicer lighting system in a bigger tank. Good luck!

OrionN
08/31/2006, 04:39 PM
Keep in mind that bluecarpet only have the anemones for a few days, not even a week.

ClownReef®
08/31/2006, 05:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8049089#post8049089 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by only4fudge
veggie tangs eat it right up, mine never stop nibbling on anything algae.

Goodluck to you, and very nice RBTAs, did they clone?

A Vlamingi would do an excellent job!. They stay relatively small and love hair algea :D

jjackson
08/31/2006, 05:50 PM
yeah lets see some 1 month and 6 weeks pics... I imagine they will be bleached and not looking so great.... even with feeding.

fishnut321
08/31/2006, 05:50 PM
yeah, im giving up on a nano cube, theres no point in spending htat much money on that, i would rather spend it on more lighting or a skimmer.... i am thinking more along the line of a 20-30 gallon cube with an overflow and small sump... i will probably get a t-5 or pc lighting system, since i like the daylight schedule, and im on a budget.... any i deas?

bluerug
08/31/2006, 05:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8052953#post8052953 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Minh Nguyen
Keep in mind that bluecarpet only have the anemones for a few days, not even a week.
Are you trying to say they are not going to do good. I believe you said that about my carpet as well, but looked what happend with my bluecarpet....... it thrived and got to big for my tank and had to trade it with my buddy and it is doing even better in that tank. Dont try to post smart remarks about my tank saying it in like a secret code whether or not they are going to do good, just simply say after a few weeks they will be dead, its better off to shoot straight forward rather than to go around the bush. My anemone's will do fine in my tank and if they get to big i have an action plan that will take effect and should be pretty interesting.

bluerug
08/31/2006, 05:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8053365#post8053365 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jjackson
yeah lets see some 1 month and 6 weeks pics... I imagine they will be bleached and not looking so great.... even with feeding.
Give me a break,seriously, people nagged at me all day saying my carpet will die after 6 weeks.

I think i will get an expert to comment in this thread.

bluerug
08/31/2006, 05:55 PM
And if i was to get the 70 watt hqi sytem they would even do better, but i dont need to buy that system, they will do just fine.

bluerug
08/31/2006, 05:58 PM
Not to mention i also had a long talk with the person i bought these anemone's from at my local club auction and he is what you could consider an expert so to say. And his answer was that there would be nothing to panic about b/c they will do fine.

bluerug
08/31/2006, 06:05 PM
Also go ahead and call Bob fenner, maybe a few of you have heard of that name, or contact him through email.

jjackson
08/31/2006, 06:29 PM
All I was saying is that there have been ALOT of people to fail in keeping anemones alive in situations like that.... yes your carpet did stay nice.... and it was in there for a few months.... but who is to say how much longer it would have lasted.... I can stick an anemone in a small tank next to mine with a power head and a little light and I am sure it will survive for quite a while.....but that does not mean that it is healthy or thriving. Anything that is in that size range can ultimately be nothing more than temporary. As the caretakers for these exotic, delicate creatures, we are responsible for providing the utmost in care for them. You would be pushing the limits puttin AN RBTA in the tank but the only reason to put two in is to make everyone look at you and question why.... bottom line is there is alot of algea that is usually caused by high phosphates and that isnt the best enviroment for an anemone.

bluerug
08/31/2006, 06:32 PM
I am to say it would have lasted a lot longer, b/c the fact is it would have if it did not outgrow my tank like it did.

bluerug
08/31/2006, 06:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8053581#post8053581 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jjackson
All I was saying is that there have been ALOT of people to fail in keeping anemones alive in situations like that.... yes your carpet did stay nice.... and it was in there for a few months.... but who is to say how much longer it would have lasted.... I can stick an anemone in a small tank next to mine with a power head and a little light and I am sure it will survive for quite a while.....but that does not mean that it is healthy or thriving. Anything that is in that size range can ultimately be nothing more than temporary. As the caretakers for these exotic, delicate creatures, we are responsible for providing the utmost in care for them. You would be pushing the limits puttin AN RBTA in the tank but the only reason to put two in is to make everyone look at you and question why.... bottom line is there is alot of algea that is usually caused by high phosphates and that isnt the best enviroment for an anemone.
Whatever floats your boat, my lights are not little lights by the way, it is not worth getting into an arguement over this. Try not to be so offensive next time please.

OrionN
08/31/2006, 06:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8053369#post8053369 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishnut321
yeah, im giving up on a nano cube, theres no point in spending htat much money on that, i would rather spend it on more lighting or a skimmer.... i am thinking more along the line of a 20-30 gallon cube with an overflow and small sump... i will probably get a t-5 or pc lighting system, since i like the daylight schedule, and im on a budget.... any i deas?
Have you consider the Aquapod 24 g tank? with either 150 MH or 70 W MH?
All you need in adition to that is a good heater and maybe a smaller power head. I would be big enough for an anemone and a pair of clown and a coral or two.

bluerug
08/31/2006, 06:36 PM
And the reason i have an algae bloom is b/c i added snails from the keys which i should not have done in the first place that were carying the hair algae and that is why i have a bloom right now. Not b/c of high phosphates,if i had high phosphates chances are i would have cyano as well, which i do not.

bluerug
08/31/2006, 06:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8053625#post8053625 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Minh Nguyen
Have you consider the Aquapod 24 g tank? with either 150 MH or 70 W MH?
All you need in adition to that is a good heater and maybe a smaller power head. I would be big enough for an anemone and a pair of clown and a coral or two.
70 watt over the 24 is not that great of an idea in fact it will probably not work, the 70 watt was made for the 12 and the 150 watt was made for the 24. 24 would need the 150, while the 12 would need the 70 watt if he decided to go that route. But you dont need to they will be fine under the jbj 12 gallon dlx. Contact bob fenner if you dont believe me. He is an expert when it comes to anemone's.

OrionN
08/31/2006, 06:45 PM
Bluecarpet,
Fishnut wanted advices. Your posts did not give all the relevant data, so I pointed it out. Take it however you want. About your carpet in a 12g, with the light you have it is clearly not adequate either in size or light. I am glad you got gave it up.

bluerug
08/31/2006, 06:49 PM
You are entitled to your own opinion but if you contact bob fenner, the real expert he will tell you otherwise. Just curious are you a marine biologist or just an hobbiest? Bob fenner is the expert and fishnut can contact him if he wants. Remeber fishnut is on a budget, he can get the jbj 12 dlx for as much as a 150 watt viper hqi system. I am giving him correct advice in my eyes and in bob fenner's eyes b/c he is the main person i get my information from.

bluerug
08/31/2006, 06:50 PM
In case you have not heard of him his name is robert fenner but goes by bob.

jjackson
08/31/2006, 07:45 PM
No I am not a marine biologist, i am 3 1/2 months away from my Zoology degree, but the guy next to me is a marine biologist and he agrees that the long term success with a tank that size with that lighting would be difficult if not imposible.

bluerug
08/31/2006, 07:48 PM
Well tell him to contact robert fenner and get some accurate information. Lets get back on topic now. Fishnut you will be fine just as long as you would not mind to split them when need be.

jjackson
08/31/2006, 07:50 PM
well since you know him so well.... have him pm me with his agreement with you....

Fishnut I would take the consensus of everyone not the person claiming to know it all that has been through his high school biology classes... and quoting other people.

bluerug
08/31/2006, 07:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8054178#post8054178 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jjackson
well since you know him so well.... have him pm me with his agreement with you....

Fishnut I would take the consensus of everyone not the person claiming to know it all that has been through his high school biology classes... and quoting other people.
The other person happens to be robert fenner, you must not know who he is. He lives and breathes for marine life.

"Robert (Bob) Fenner is a content provider to the pet-fish (ornamental) aquatics hobby and trade, dive/travel adventure and underwater natural history genres; writing, photography and videography. Though retired since 1994, he continues to produce in this field as well as consult on aquaculture and public aquarium installations.

Bob has "lived" the science, hobby and business of aquatics in the Philippines, Japan and United States. All phases; collector, wholesale, jobber, retail, design, construction and maintenance. All levels; manager, owner, hatchery worker, retail clerk, technician. Except for a stint teaching high school sciences for four years, he has worked all his life in the field of ornamental aquatics.

Academic experience includes fifteen years of college, a couple of life science degrees and a teaching credential for chemistry, physics and biology. Published works include several studies on aquatic biological and chemical questions, and an extensive book and article publishing (helped author a few books, The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, Fishwatcher's Guide to the Tropical Marine Aquarium Fishes of the World, Natural Marine Aquariums Reef Invertebrates...) and photographic background in aquatic industry and hobby fields. Have taught High School sciences and Marine Sciences and Aquariology courses at the State University, University of California levels.

Bob has been an avid aquatic hobbyist since day one and is active in hobbyist and scientific organizations. He has served on numerous Boards, judged shows and given many programs."

Taken from his biography.

bluerug
08/31/2006, 07:55 PM
What agreement are you talking about? He gave me advice not a written contract.

jjackson
08/31/2006, 08:12 PM
I was talking about your knowledge and schooling not his... you arent him

bluerug
08/31/2006, 08:16 PM
Well what is the difference, i am told to do something from him and i do it. And he says they will be fine. Well i am now done with this b/c it is not worth it anymore, i try to give advice and people try to shoot me down like i know nothing. Fishnut you can take anyone's advice but i ask you to contact bob fenner for he really knows what he is talking about. Good luck by the way. And i will be sure to post some pics of my bta's in about 6 weeks just for you jjackson. And some in about 6 months if you are still not convinced it will work. Hopefully by then they will have split a few times.

jjackson
08/31/2006, 08:20 PM
and the agreement I was talking about was not a contract meerly him agreeing with what you are preaching.

hey man I really have nothing against you.... I just would feel bad if someone with less knowledgabe people to rely on and question attempted to keep such fragile creatures in an enviroment.

Also if it splits it is usually because it is stressed.... hence if you read posts on how to propogate anemones it says dont feed them then feed them alot and then do a large water change.... there are other methods most of them involve making the anemone very unhappy forcing them to asexually split so they can survive.

OrionN
08/31/2006, 08:26 PM
guys, give this up or tank it to PM please.

jjackson
08/31/2006, 08:35 PM
i think we did and it stayed fairly nice... no name calling or anything....

he has a REALLY nice nano... I have respect for that it is hard to do.... I dont know if it comes easy to him or not... but some people struggle to get what he has and I just want to make sure someone looking at getting one doesnt think that it will be easy at all... it is tough to keep a tank that small with an anemone that needs stability.

I commend him for what he has accomplished with it but I am concerned of what the future holds... hopefully it is great and we can mimic what he has done and all have success.

OrangeKoi
08/31/2006, 11:19 PM
Blue Carpet, What does Bob say you need to do to keep the anemone happy in your small tank? Here is half of mine. I had an anemone. My levels were good. Lots of LR. No phosphates. Temp steady at 81. Tank was a little over 6 mo. and doing well. I'm mourning. I asked for help but got none. I hope yours thrive. With the help you have they will. Oh, lights were pc 12" 18 Watts. Not 6 inches away. It lasted about as well as anyone with less than 2 yrs exp. I'm not happy with that. Hoping you will get good help from your friend. Yours are beautiful.

Here's the spot...I gave the mushroom the spot.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/Red_Rage789/5andhalfgallon30Aug06.gif

nickterp
09/01/2006, 07:12 AM
BlueCarpet,
I'm confident you will do fine .... I'm not worried about your livestock at all, and I'm sure they will all do very well. You're experienced and seem successful. I think the worry by people here was just to give the "new guys" the best chance with conservative advice. Don't take the attacks on what you are doing too seriously, but try to consider what is good advise to give newbies.

Also about Bob Fenner..... I mean, at least find a passage like this to quote the guy instead of just saying his name ;)... the website he works at (www.wetwebmedia) adamantly opposes BTA's in small aquariums... look below
Check out this page: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/btasysfaqs.htm and scroll down to this passage where Fenner says in reply to someone's comment about a BTA in a 29 gallon:
<excerpt from FAQ, check out link for whole post>
"(person asking question) ->I have tried other with no success. I have a 29 gallon tank that’s been up for over a year.
(Fenner's reply)<This is a dangerously small volume...>"

It all over the FAQ's that those systems are too small because of stability issues. I don't believe there is one single FAQ on the whole site that says its ok to do so.....

Sorry but there had to be some defense for Fenner's real stance ;).

nickterp
09/01/2006, 07:15 AM
That didn't post right..... Fenner's reply was "This is a dangerously small volume" to the comment on the 29 gallon.

nickterp
09/01/2006, 07:29 AM
OrangeKoi, sorry for your loss. I hope that you'll more luck in the future. The tank looks good by the way :).

slcw
09/01/2006, 08:07 AM
another person who in totally disagree to anemones in a small setup would Anthony Calfo. reasons are clearly mentioned in the 1st 4 FAQs related to BTA in WWM

thor32766
09/01/2006, 10:35 AM
wow, interesting thread

Sacrifice
09/01/2006, 12:56 PM
keep it well, or loose it!!

bluerug
09/01/2006, 01:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8055381#post8055381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OrangeKoi
Blue Carpet, What does Bob say you need to do to keep the anemone happy in your small tank? Here is half of mine. I had an anemone. My levels were good. Lots of LR. No phosphates. Temp steady at 81. Tank was a little over 6 mo. and doing well. I'm mourning. I asked for help but got none. I hope yours thrive. With the help you have they will. Oh, lights were pc 12" 18 Watts. Not 6 inches away. It lasted about as well as anyone with less than 2 yrs exp. I'm not happy with that. Hoping you will get good help from your friend. Yours are beautiful.

Sorry about your loss but 18 watts of pc wont cut it for an rbta, but 48 watts will certaintly take care of an rbta. Once again sorry about your loss. From private contact with him, he told me that they will likely split and just to make a little side money by selling the splits, and he said if one gets too big for the tank, he said to get a little happy, for i will be able to cut it right down the middle with a razor blade. That should be fun. Hope i was of help, and good luck.

55semireef
09/01/2006, 10:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8055381#post8055381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OrangeKoi

I was just curious what size tank was this in?

geckotail
09/02/2006, 06:05 PM
why would anyone listen to bluecarpet, someone that can not even keep hair algae down in his tank and than decides to put 2 btas in it also. he obviously has fundamental reef taking skills. listen to the majority not an isolated individual who thought a blue carpet under 48wts 12gallons of water was a good idea.

55semireef
09/02/2006, 06:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8065628#post8065628 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by geckotail
why would anyone listen to bluecarpet, someone that can not even keep hair algae down in his tank and than decides to put 2 btas in it also. he obviously has fundamental reef taking skills. listen to the majority not an isolated individual who thought a blue carpet under 48wts 12gallons of water was a good idea.
Yes I agree...he just sold me a baby RBTA and already its looking 30 time better in my tank. The rock it came with had tons of hair algae and less than a day my Purple tang and cleanup crew got rid of every hair of algae. I would not take advice from bluecarpet.

55semireef
09/02/2006, 06:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8047758#post8047758 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ezhoops
Hair algae usually equals high phosphate
Correct.

OrangeKoi
09/04/2006, 11:18 PM
Thanks Blue Carpet. Thanks 55semireef. It is all rather depressing. But you are right. The tank does look good. Unfortunately I accidentally forgot that you're not supposed to touch cup corals flesh (which is on the other side of this 5 and 1/2 gallon tank). I think it is dying too. It's either that or chemical warfare with a blue anthelia (or whatever it's called:( ). I don't like it. It's just been trouble since I got it. You can almost see it at the top.). It isn't phosphates either. I use that phosphate filter and had it tested as well. The test showed no level of phosphates.

It is a nice little size. It suits me. I just don't believe it has what a BTA needs. Perhaps if it had a 50 gallon refugium ...:mixed: ...oh well.

As far as lights go, the Anemone always went low. I don't believe it was a light issue. My maiden hair alge does quite well. I've had it growing nicely since I started the tank when it was only 2.5 gallons. It is a "high ligh" required "life form". You can see it in the back there. But who am I? Someone who succeeds with small tanks long term would have the answer.

One good thing though, it's curious, my shrimp loves the tank. She carries eggs regularly. She needs a hubbie. She's got a tail full now!:)

ClownReef®
09/05/2006, 01:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8065628#post8065628 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by geckotail

LOL!!!!!

55semireef
09/05/2006, 07:25 PM
Your tank looks fine its just not an aquedate place for a BTA or any anemone.

OrangeKoi
09/05/2006, 09:38 PM
Well, blue carpet, I hope your RBTA's do well. Wherever you keep them. It is alluring to see them do their little anemone thing. I'm going to wait a bit longer. Again, good luck. They are precious.