PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Out

b.branscombe
08/30/2006, 09:53 PM
I really like seahorses, and I want to keep a couple. I'm getting a custom 220g FOWLR tank made and drilled, and it will be 30" high. If you guys think this will work, I will have a partition installed in one end of the tank, that will keep the seahorses separate from the rest of the tank, however they will share the same water. I was planning to make the seahorse's area 1' x 2' x 30", and I was wondering how many seahorses I could keep and what are some good types.

CeaHorseMaShell
08/31/2006, 08:20 AM
the measurements sound ok, but what temp do you plan on keeping the tank. Is the other side going to be reef or just fish? Personally I would recommend setting up a seperate 29 or 30XHigh as the requirements are not the same. Best of luck

Michele

b.branscombe
08/31/2006, 09:36 AM
The other part of the tank is going to be fish only, so I can keep it cooler than a reef tank if I need to.

hydroid
08/31/2006, 09:46 AM
I've heard of others doing this and have been happy with the setup.

One thought ... if the horses can see the fish on the other side, they might get stressd by their presence.

I would say no more than two horses in that space.

b.branscombe
08/31/2006, 12:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8050458#post8050458 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hydroid
One thought ... if the horses can see the fish on the other side, they might get stressd by their presence.

I would say no more than two horses in that space.

Really? Wouldn't they get used to them after a while and realize that they can't get to them?

Two horses sounds okay to me, what species would you recommend?

hydroid
09/01/2006, 11:12 AM
Really? Wouldn't they get used to them after a while and realize that they can't get to them?

They might get used to it after a while ... but maybe not ... depends on whats on the other side.

Two horses sounds okay to me, what species would you recommend?

If it were me, I would go with H. erectus. from seahorsesource.com. Erectus have the reputation as the best starter horse and SeahorseSource has the reputation as having the best erectus.

luvabunny
09/06/2006, 09:39 PM
I would be very cautious in mixing CB horses with WC fish. That divider will do absolutely nothing in keeping WC diseases away from you CB horses.

pledosophy
09/07/2006, 01:32 AM
IME most seahorse diseases come from other syngnathids.

If the tank is going to be a FOWLR your main worry is going to be temp. You need to hit about 74F. Also flow through the seahorse compartment needs to be less, like 5x an hour.

In that space depending on the rest of your bioload and filtration I think you could get away with two pair.

Seahorses are messy, they will dirty the rest of your water but if our prepared for that, your prepared for that.

Good Luck.