PDA

View Full Version : High levels of Mg++

LFS_worker
08/31/2006, 05:22 AM
A customer has this its about 1600 I wasnt sure If this was going to have any adverse effects.

I also dont know if it is ok to post a Question like this.

The Mg++ article doesnt say anything about Mg++ overdose. Im guessing that it will be fine.

Thanks, Sorry to drive you guys crazy :)
Brian

Billybeau1
08/31/2006, 08:31 AM
From Randy's Magnesium article

Toxicity of Elevated Magnesium

There have been very few studies on the toxicity of elevated magnesium on most marine organisms. Most toxicity studies involving magnesium use freshwater species. This is largely true because magnesium is already quite high in concentration in normal seawater, so to significantly elevate it requires conditions that would rarely be encountered in oceans or even lagoons.

Bingman12 pointed out in a previous article that at elevated concentrations (>8,000 ppm), magnesium has been used as an aid in shucking oysters, helping to force the oyster open,12-14 and also as an anesthetic for them.12 Consequently, magnesium does have potentially negative biological effects at significantly elevated concentration

Boomer
08/31/2006, 11:56 AM
The only adverse effect on might think may be white clouds when adding buffers. This is usually magnesium hydroxide. It will just go back in solution, so is no real issue at all unless the clouds settle out on corals, which may irritate them due to the elevated pH it will create as the cloud dissipates on or right next to the coral.

LFS_worker
08/31/2006, 06:48 PM
thanks I did read the article on the mg++ but it doesnt say about effects on CA and alk at high levels. I guess that if it had then It would have stated it.

Thanks Guys :)
Brian

Boomer
09/01/2006, 12:05 AM
Not so much in that article but others, where he talks about Mg++ allowing Ca++ to remain in solution easier. One of the first questions we will ask here when you can't get your Ca++ up is what is your Mg++ level. Low Mg++ suppresses Ca++ making it difficult to raise it. This is a good thing.

The clouds created when adding buffers, as I mentioned, can/may be another issue if it falls on inverts.

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium?
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.php

A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php