PDA

View Full Version : can't raise PH

Siiri
08/31/2006, 07:44 AM
Hey everybody,

i have a little problem with my PH. About a week ago I checked my PH and it was down to 7.8. This is the first time it happened since I established my tank a year ago. All my other parameters are fine (amonia,nitrate, nitrite are at 0). So I thought "lucky me" because I had PH buffer had home. So over the last week I have been trying to raise my PH up to 8.2 again. But when I checked on the PH again this morning, my PH was still at 7.8, though it should have been at exactl 8.2. I dont want to add any more Buffer.
Does anybody have an idea of whats happening???
Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help, as always :D

unimike
08/31/2006, 07:49 AM
I would check in the oxygen/CO levels because they do contribute the cause in pH changes.

crumbletop
08/31/2006, 07:52 AM
Get a good alkalinity test (titratable) and measure your alkalinity. You may not need the buffer. Here is a good article on low pH problems:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

sir_dudeguy
08/31/2006, 08:19 AM
do you have proper gas exchange? Or do you have something like a glass lid or a plastic cover that doesnt allow for much or any airflow? if so, try taking that off and get good surface agitation from a powerhead. That worked for me, altho i dont know why yours would go down after a year unless you just added a hood or something like that. Or like the others said, it could be the alk.

Siiri
08/31/2006, 01:48 PM
I have a glass lid on it, it doesnt cover the whole top though. Also I have two powerheads that should help with the agitation.
I am about to go to the LFS to get a alkalinity test. I ll see how that goes.
Thanks for the ino so far. :)

sir_dudeguy
08/31/2006, 01:55 PM
i had the glass lids on my 55 too and there was about a 2 inch or so gap along the back, but it still wasnt enough i dont think, cuz when i took it completely off the next time i tested it has risen 0.2

i was on oceanic salt and it was at 7.7. I then switched to IO and it went up to 7.9 is all, and when i took the hood off it went up a little more, and then i got surface agitation (lots of it) and its now at like 8.2

Siiri
08/31/2006, 03:43 PM
Ok, So I just drove an 30 minutes to my LFS to find out that they dont have an Alkalinity test. They tried to tell me that PH was the same as Alkalinity... Mh... Yeah, right. ;) I guess I am not going back there.
Well, since I cant get a Alkalinity test kit till probably saturday (next petstore is an hour away), you guys think I should just do a water change, or jus leave it like it is till I get the test kit???

Thanks.

crumbletop
08/31/2006, 04:20 PM
Since the tank really hasn't changed over the last week (at least that is how I read your first post), as long as nothing in the tank appears stressed I think you are safe waiting. No need to change anything quickly. A water change wouldn't be a bad idea, but probably won't change things very much.

meco65
08/31/2006, 04:25 PM
You mite try a air stone just to see if it helps

mg426
08/31/2006, 04:49 PM
Mabe you could try this. Take a glass of water out of your tank. Take the glass outside and aerate the glass for 1 hr. Measure the glass after you aerate it. If the PH of the glass is higher than the PH of your tank CO2 is your problem, and tank aeration/ gas exchange is most likely the answer.

mg426
08/31/2006, 04:51 PM
You should however (no matter how the Ph aeration test turns out know what your alk is) And PH and Alk are not the same thing.

Siiri
08/31/2006, 05:16 PM
Sounds like a good idea. I will try that as soon as it quits raining (Ernesto is visiting NC right now ;) )