PDA

View Full Version : skimmer micro bubbles

ducati1212
08/31/2006, 04:00 PM
So I have had my bak pak 2 skimmer on for about 2 weeks but since the tank is cycling I leave it on with air turned off. So no microbubbles its just moving water around. yesterady I turned on the air to actually start skimming and the oulet fills the tank with micro bubbles. it lasted about 6 hours then calmed down. I thought it broke in and was ok but tonight my whole tank looks like sodawater. What do you do about that

nothing in the tank but rock

Agu
08/31/2006, 08:10 PM
Just let it run for a few days. If that doesn't solve the problem CPR sells a bubble trap for the Bakpak.

rodd1rj
08/31/2006, 08:26 PM
do most protien skimmers take a few days or just bakpaks, have the same problem, but probibly putting baffels in in a few days.

ducati1212
08/31/2006, 08:38 PM
The bubble trap did nothing. I installed it yesterday. I'll just give it some time. Hopfully it clears up a little

55kfog
09/01/2006, 04:00 AM
besides the break-in period, I'd also make sure you have _enough_ air going into the skimmer. Reducing the air too much can cause the higher water velocity (caused by relatively more water than air) to push the bubbles out of the skimmer. I've run mine with the air valve pretty much fully open (both the maxi1200 and rio600). no bubbles for me. good luck

Kiel'thalin
09/01/2006, 06:12 AM
Umm, using the bakpak for water movement is not a good thing, I believe it has a final output flow of only 10gph. This skimmer will take a long time before your bubble problem is cured, I had mine for 3 months before deceding to give it up. Also, any adjustment of the water level will dramatcally effect this skimmer, this means constant adjustment of the collection cup, or keeping your tank constantly topped off with water. Good luck.

ducati1212
09/01/2006, 06:37 AM
I had always been told Bak Pak was a good skimmer. Quality is good. Hopefully things turn around for it.