PDA

View Full Version : how far out into the water would i have to go

puffer21
09/01/2006, 08:34 AM
Im looking to learn how to dive. I would rather not go in the water that far out. I was looking for more like sure diving. Any was i was thinking bahamas or florida keys. How far would i have to out into the water would i have to go. Can you tell me what i would see in eather place. Thanks for any help puffer21

organism
09/01/2006, 02:20 PM
learn how to scuba or snorkel? shore diving? I'm guessing you're not scuba certified, so the best distance to go would be to your local swimming pool, or to very shallow water to get used to the snorkeling gear, if for scuba check your local dive store and get certified, going out into the ocean without being comfortable with the gear is a pretty dangerous idea

mrferrit
09/01/2006, 06:38 PM
depends where you are located i have been doing the FL springs and some drift dives in the santafe river . so depends where you are.
sure dives? you mean shore dives ? i tell ya there tough you have to be in pretty good shape trying to get back in is a bit rough getting back in. if i remember right i thought you were pretty close to me. lmk
Dennis

puffer21
09/03/2006, 02:31 PM
And no i would get certified first. and i was just looking for something that i woulded have to use a bout for.

mrferrit
09/03/2006, 03:06 PM
depends here in st pete youll have to wait till it cools off viz is prety bad right now but 5 miles off Passagrille is 9 sunken army tanks and a 200 ft barge and 20 miles off clearwater is the tug sheriden and blackthorne which i am waiting to go to. not sure about the other coast though i know thers alot over there so when ya gettin certed and when we goin ?

puffer21
09/03/2006, 03:12 PM
i was oing to get certifid up there

mrferrit
09/03/2006, 04:12 PM
cool keep us posted on how you progress i just got the word that i am going to ginnie springs on tuesday whoo whooo its been a few weeks and i am antsie . i need my fix im all exited now hee hee

puffer21
09/03/2006, 04:37 PM
cool that sounds like fun

mar-y-sol
09/07/2006, 10:10 PM
If you are looking to get certified Florida is a nice place to do it. The first thing you want to do is get your Open Water Certification, depending on where you do it, it cost about $300. After you do that you can decide wether scuba is right for you or not and then go from there to more advanced classes. I work in a dive shop in South Beach, we teach classes and run trips constantly and the reefs off the beach are pretty nice, especially around Ft. Lauderdale plus they are a cheap trip only equipment rental,. If you want to see turtles the place with the best chance of seeing one is the keys. I have had the most encounters on Molasses Reef off Key Largo, Captain's Slates Atlantis Dive Shop runs trips there on almost a weekly basis so if you are going to the keys I would stop and do a dive with him. Good Luck.

puffer21
09/08/2006, 06:14 PM
ok thanks for the info

dannygsrb16
10/03/2006, 02:20 PM
take a class before you do any thing coming form some one whos been free diving for about 10 years the ocean can be a dangeous place my dad took me out for the first time at the age of 10 and first thing i say was a black tip in the water i thought i was going to if i was by my self it would of been bad remeber your a vistor in the ocean good luck and god bless

puffer21
10/03/2006, 02:28 PM
ok