PDA

View Full Version : What eats Caulerpa Sertularioides aka Feather Algea?

wfgworks
09/01/2006, 02:32 PM
I have tangs but they dont seem to like this type of Caulerpa.

Any suggestions on what does eat this type of Caulerpa?

Thanks!

Sk8r
09/01/2006, 03:01 PM
There's very little green that a rabbit won't eat. The scribbled rabbit will definitely eat caulerpa---and the occasional green polyp. He can hold his own with tangs.

wfgworks
09/01/2006, 03:56 PM
I had a Foxface that didnt show any interest in it, do you think a different rabbit species will do better like the scribble rabbit you suggested?

jimmyray
09/01/2006, 03:58 PM
It's hit or miss. Caulerpa is not tasty. Even if you find something that will eat it, it will be the last resort. It will eat all other macroalgae first. In my experience, the only method to get rid of it is manual removal (sometimes with the assistance of nuclear weapons).

Sk8r
09/01/2006, 04:17 PM
The scribbleds eat more types of algae than other rabbits, definitely will eat grape. If you can find one in an lfs, see if you can arrange to offer him a sample of your breed of caulerpa and see. Foxes will eat bubble: my scribbled wouldn't. My scribbled ate grape caulerpa like it was manna from heaven. And then took to the frogspawn. Rabbits are chancy [and venemous!] but if you get the right one, they're very efficient. I could also recommend the hairy colored pincushion urchin [all parts of that name are necessary to get the right one] except he has interesting little wavy tentacles all over and I'm afraid your tangs would make short work of him. Mine has enough trouble from the bumblebee shrimp.

wfgworks
09/01/2006, 05:19 PM
Can you post a picture of the Scribbled Rabbitfish so I can keep an eye out for it at my LFS?

I know many fish have different names so a picture will help me out alot.

graveyardworm
09/01/2006, 07:18 PM
Scribbled rabbitfish (http://marinedepotlive.stores.yahoo.net/scribbled-rabbitfish---siganus-doliatus-fish--rabbitfish.html)

wfgworks
09/01/2006, 07:36 PM
Is it sometimes referred to as the Two Barred Rabbitfish as well.

Live Aquaria as it called that.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1449

graveyardworm
09/01/2006, 07:48 PM
I'm thinking maybe we should call this guy by his latin name Siganus Doliatus, The new Marine fishes book has the common name as Pencil Streaked Rabbitfish. :rolleyes: