PDA

View Full Version : Baby porc diet

Capt. Nemo
09/01/2006, 02:40 PM
Hey guys,

Up to now I've been feeding my baby porc (2.5") silver sides, prawn, and some krill. Tried feeding him pro salt squid and clams which he wasnt very fond of. Maybe it was just too mushy. He also had eaten initiallly eaten mysis shrimp, but that now seems to have fallen out of favor with him. Anyhow, what do you guys feed your puffers, in partcular, a baby porc. Is he too small to feed clams in a hard shell or any crab? I know that he needs to be eating hard shelled fish to grind his teeth down. Thanks guys!

Gary

Capt. Nemo
09/02/2006, 12:41 PM
Anbody want to take a crack at this. Thanks.

VolitanLioness
09/02/2006, 01:37 PM
Try the crab but place it in a nori clip, this is what I do to feed my dogface. I have a porky but only for a week now, it is 4 inches and I am nursing it back to health.

The only meaty foods it has liked so far is raw shrimp, squid & smelt, but it did not care for ocean perch. It does however like pellets, Formula I, II & Spectrum.

Here is a list I feed my dogface, which I will be trying with my porcupine...... Maybe it will give you some ideas....

Raw Shrimp
Crab
Mahi, Mahi
Shark Steaks
Cray Fish
Ocean Perch
Squid
Octo
Smelt
Flounder
Red Snapper
Frozen Silversides
Frozen Sand Eels
Mussels
Scallops

Kaye

VolitanLioness
09/02/2006, 01:39 PM
I also started to feed this puffer from a feeder stick which it has done great with, I can also directly feed to make sure it is eating properly. I feed my dogface this way also.

Kaye

Dirk Diggler
09/02/2006, 03:48 PM
All i ever fed my porcupine puffer was chopped up formula one. my puffer never got tired of eating it and was very healthy at the same time.

hcahan
09/02/2006, 08:30 PM
My porc also eats off a stick. I buy the seafood mix from trader joes and chop up everything---squid, crab, scallops, shrimp, ect into bite sized pieces. He loves chewing on the piece of crab leg and it's good for his teeth. When my porc needs a "treat" I feed him freezed dried krill-it's kinda like popcorn for fish. My Dog face also eats the same mix. I found he was never fond of silversides but just loves crab and scallops. THey are alot of fun. Good luck and remember once they start they are eatting machines.