PDA

View Full Version : Wavebox setting problems

johnnstacy
09/01/2006, 07:03 PM
Just got the wavebox and went to work right away. I had it on one end of the tank as high as I could get it. The top of the wavebox was right at the surface. Got a good wave going but the box was sucking all kinds of air and making tons of bubbles. I dropped it down about 1" below the water line but now I can't get a good wave at all. The driver is already set to max so that idea is shot. I just wondered how many of you have the box below the waterline and should this thing be sucking air from the top and shooting it out of the pump?

johnnstacy
09/01/2006, 07:07 PM
and just to make sure I have this right. The resonance dial is turned almost all the way counterclockwise on my 6' tank. Are most of you operating in that area?

johnnstacy
09/02/2006, 12:34 AM
Well, I was able to get it working but only with the top out of the water and it's much louder in its new location. The magnet on the outside is so high, it actually rests on the black seam on the top.

What I haven't figured out yet is how to get the photo electric cell to work. I plugged it in but even in the dark the box doesn't stop. I even covered it with a towel so that no light was coming in. Does the cell have to first be exposed to bright light?

rvitko
09/02/2006, 09:35 AM
Tuning the wavebox is a process that will take some time. You need to start with it all the way counterclockwise and slowly move clockwise in hair width increments and wait to see what develops. When you hit the right frequency you get a wave. Expect it to take a few hours to tune. You get 1 wave, crest on one end, trough on the other. For the photocell, be sure it is firmly plugged in, it is a snug fit and you may have to push a bit. It should be connnected with the power off. All it does is turn the wavebox off at night. I personaly don't use it. As for the magnet, this is correct, the US trim interferes with the mounting. That is why I suggest one magnet holder at the bottom and 2 suction cup on the top nipples. The suction cups typically must be changed every 6 months. You can use the magnets at the top, I just don't like the way it looks.

johnnstacy
09/02/2006, 10:44 AM
Is there an average wave size in a 6' tank? As it stands now the wave is about 1" maybe 1 1/4". Problem I have is that I had this tank made with glass eurobracing all around so the top of the wavebox is already just about at the bottom of the eurobracing. Oh well.

rvitko
09/02/2006, 04:34 PM
That sounds about right, 1.25-1.5"

johnnstacy
09/04/2006, 05:43 PM
1.25 is about as high as I could get it to go. I think this is because I can't get the box out of the water enough. I think ideally it is upposed to be at the blue line but with the euro bracing all the way around I cant get it up high enough. The euro bracing on the side of my tank only comes out about 1.50". Can you think of a way to secure the box away from the glass so it can clear the bracing. Offset away from the glass about 1 1/2?

With my 1.25" wave, it doesn't move all the detritus off the bottom. It still settles in one area which is not a big deal but is it supposed to leave no detritus settling?

Volcano1
09/04/2006, 08:53 PM
John got the same problem on a 8' tank, added an extention and it seemed to help, not the cheapest route though. I have large corner overflows and it I block one off I get a much bigger wave. Guess I'll live with what it will do in my tank. Rather have both overflows working.

johnnstacy
09/04/2006, 09:02 PM
Fortunately I have no overflows in my tank and I could almost live with the smaller wave if I could get some confirmation that a wavebox will not lift everything off the bottom. (I am referring to a bb tank). It is just bugging me that there is a pile sitting there. At the same time, the back and forth motion is really keeping stuff in suspension. I went in with a small powerhead to blow off the rocks and found much much less then normal so something must be working.....

rvitko
09/05/2006, 07:52 AM
It will not lift everything, there will always be heavier detritus that must be siphoned out. There is no way to offset the wavebox.