PDA

View Full Version : An unusual evening....

Kathy55g
09/01/2006, 08:51 PM
Because of the recent power outage, I had talked about getting a natural gas generator, and my husband thought with every other thing we need to do because of the storm damage, we could not afford to. When I told him the fish would pay for it, he gave me funny look. "The fish I have right now are worth $8000", I said. I guess I had neglected to let him know the profits from this little hobby.

My son is away on a church retreat, my daughter having dinner at a friend's house, my husband and I decided to go out to dinner, a thing we do very seldom.

We were talking about my fish, because, of course, that is what I talk about, and he said, "Isn't it kind of risky, having everything on one system? If one tank crashes, they all go, don't they?"

Of course I agreed with him and then pointed out that he had disapproved of my expansion plans for the basement, remember? "You told me not to set up any further tanks in the basement", I said.

Then he smiled and said, "Do what you want...."

!!!!!!!!!!!

:rollface: :eek2: :D

aomont
09/01/2006, 11:02 PM
Could you talk to my wife ? :)

Anderson.

MimicTang
09/01/2006, 11:12 PM
Is all the salt air from a breeding setup or a large basement tank bad for a basement outta curiousity??

Kathy55g
09/02/2006, 05:59 AM
Salt creeps out of tanks from bubbles popping, and system leaks, but salt does not evaporate. Water does, however, and if you do not do something to alleviate the humidity, your husband's power tools will all rust, and you may have a mold problem. However, winters are made much more comfortable by many tanks around the house!

Dman
09/02/2006, 08:59 AM
As soon as I ran the numbers past my wife, her response was, "Just make sure I have enough room to get the the washer and dryer" :D
It's recouping the 20+ grand I've spent so far that'll be a little tricky. (Shhh)

David M
09/02/2006, 09:35 AM
Yea, same story here :D It's funny how your disaproving mate can come around when $ comes into play :rolleyes: My wife has gone from vocal discontent to active support, quite a turn around :smokin: In fact SHE is the one pushing me to get the generator :lol:

Dman, I don't worry about recovering the money I've spent to get where I am, I would have done it anyway. That is the beauty of a hobby turned business, I was willing to spend every dime just because I was doing something I wanted to do, never actually expecting to make a biz out of it. Real investors will probably never get in our game, only devoted hobbyists are going to do it :cool: Also, think about the cost of 4 years of college to learn something? I think you got a deal at $20K ;)

Kathy55g
09/02/2006, 10:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8063270#post8063270 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dman
As soon as I ran the numbers past my wife, her response was, "Just make sure I have enough room to get the the washer and dryer" :D
It's recouping the 20+ grand I've spent so far that'll be a little tricky. (Shhh)

I am more worried about my husband's rusting power tools. I do the laundry. RO waste water goes into the washer, and I don't want other people spilling laundry soap into my tanks. It's bad enough if I do it.

K

Dman
09/02/2006, 10:12 AM
I think about all the stuff I've learned and all the people I've met and the money really is inconsequential

Now if I could just do something about these damn hydro bills. :D

Kathy55g
09/02/2006, 10:55 AM
This is turning out to be a really great weekend.

My mama clownfish has her ovipositor extended and she and the papa are cleaning an already clean corner of the tank floor and wall LIKE MAD! It is a frenzy!

Spawning cannot be far away! I am so excited!!!!!

Kathy55g
09/02/2006, 10:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8063616#post8063616 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dman
I think about all the stuff I've learned and all the people I've met and the money really is inconsequential

Now if I could just do something about these damn hydro bills. :D

I agree about the learning and the people, but what's a hydro bill? Water or electricity?

Dman
09/02/2006, 12:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8063815#post8063815 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kathy55g
I agree about the learning and the people, but what's a hydro bill? Water or electricity?

Electricity, I live in an older section of the city and pay flat rate for water as there is no meter. (if they only knew:))

Kathy55g
09/02/2006, 02:37 PM
I am seeing eggs!:D

A very good weekend!