PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead question

RoTTen2TheCore
09/01/2006, 09:01 PM
I Have a 35 gal tank and i have 2 maxijet 1200's (one on each side blowing towards the middle at the top of my tank) and i find its creating too much turbulance. My gravel moves a little and the poor bristle starfish that was on my liverock was hanging on for dear life. People tell me that 1 is not enough flow and that 2 would be perfect and maybe even 3 would be good (3 would probably turn my tank into a whirlpool:P) So is this much current normal in a tank or is there a way to tone it down a bit (either turn one off, aim them a different way or add the nozzle attatchment (the flat one) so the bottom of my tank doesnt get disturbed too much.

lvpd186
09/01/2006, 09:35 PM
What are the dimensions of your tank? If the tank isn't very long maybe you would be better off with smaller maxijet pumps, like the 400 or 600.

Avi
09/01/2006, 09:38 PM
I would recommend that you put Hydor Flow Deflectors on the two MJs that you have...it will really improve the quality of the flow in your reef and I think, solve your problem in a very positive way:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11363&Ntt=hydor%20flow%20deflector&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1