PDA

View Full Version : Anemone "Sucked Up" in Powerhead - Toxic?

GillJoy
09/02/2006, 10:01 AM
Woke up this AM only to find my long tentacled anemone had walked/floated right into the intake grill of my MaxiJet 900. It looks like it is "hugging" the entire grill with only a couple small slits still open for H20 flow. Despite all the tentacles (except about 20) have been sucked into the grill and some of its body as well it looks like it might live.

I have removed the grill and placed it in a breeder, mesh hang-on as a small quarantine so my fish and crustaceans will not bother it. I then began to clip away some of the grill with snips but can't go any further without harming the remaining anemone.

The foot seems to still be okay as it did not get pulled in, but I'm unsure: a) if the anemone will pull out and live on or b) it has passed it's prime and could be toxic to the tank.

Any advice here is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

traveller7
09/02/2006, 11:25 AM
Any ground up organic material is going to quickly add to the ammonia levels, can't guess the capacity of your individual system to cope.

Moving it and letting it sort itself out is a good start, make sure the flow is high enough to keep the slime from building up in the net breeder, but not blowing it around. It is going to be looking for sand with any available resources so the net breeder is not a long term solution.

Water change is good prevention at this point.
I would add some carbon as well.

The picture in your gallery a few months back, can certainly be an LTA. If it is an LTA, M. doreensis, it must have been upset to begin with or it would not have left the sand. Not only will proper conditions need to be provided for any chance of recovery, but some analysis of what made it leave its "home" to begin with are in order.

Best of luck.

Leo10988
09/02/2006, 12:10 PM
Skimmer should take care of it