PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Impeller?

cootiebugg
09/02/2006, 05:46 PM
Hi Roger,
Doing maint. on a 6100 Stream and I noticed the impeller housing is split the lenght of the shaft as if it is coming apart at a seam. I imagine it needs to be replaced and if so is it safe to operate until I can get one. Thanks

rvitko
09/02/2006, 07:36 PM
The housing or the actual impeller? The bush bearing (part at the top) has a seam. The magnet, could be cracked if you meant the impeller. Otherwise the housing would be just scratched and it really isn't a big deal, if it was deep enough the pump wouldn't work and being low voltage no serious shock could occur anyway.

cootiebugg
09/03/2006, 03:23 AM
According to the instruction book from 2002-2003 it's the magnetic rotor pg. 36 #1 In the 1st pic on your cleaning sticky. it's the long piece to the left of the white drive shaft. It does appear to be split all the way through.

rvitko
09/03/2006, 07:15 AM
Ok, I could believe that, the magnets can and do crack. They aren't very expensive, eventually the pump will stop working as a broken magnet actually is 2 magnets so the polarity is messed up. I would operate it cautiously as it could split further and wedge itself in there and I wouldn't run it unattended since the alarm will go off and stop the pump and then it needs to be disconnected until it can be repaired to prevent damage. As soon as possible you want to get a replacement magnetic rotor and if I remember correctly they run aboout $14.

cootiebugg
09/03/2006, 07:55 AM
No worries Roger, I've had it off awaiting your response. Where can I purchase the replacement. I looked on Premium Aquatics and Marine Depot and didn't see replacement parts.

rvitko
09/03/2006, 11:56 AM
Give me a call or order it on tunze.com. We'll be open Tuesday, we are in the process of moving so I am in and out moving thngs to our new warehouse but leave a message or PM me a number and I'll call back. 512-833-7546

cootiebugg
09/08/2006, 04:31 PM
Hi Roger, I just wanted you to know the new impeller arrived today. Man, great packaging. Thanks for your help.