PDA

View Full Version : Red dragon pumps - can we get them cheaper?

kroe
09/02/2006, 09:14 PM
It seems like most companies that sell pumps don't actually make them - they just stamp their name on something they buy.

Are the red dragon pumps made in a small shop somewhere, or are these being made by someone else and branded?

These pumps are amazing, but there is no way I am paying what they are asking for these.

Personally I think they are nuts, they could sell 100X as many if the price were cut in half. I have to think that economies of scale would easily enable them to cut manufacturing costs enough to make this worth it.

McCrary
09/02/2006, 09:19 PM
If I can remember correctly they are hand made in germany by Klaus who runs BubbleKing/Royal Exclusive. He doesn't make very many of them and doesn't seem to be as interested in money as he is in quality. Your only option seems to be to pony up and pay the big bucks.

chadfarmer
09/02/2006, 09:59 PM
Royal Exclusive makes them by hand

captive oceans imports them that is half the reason why they cost so much the euro/dollar

kroe
09/02/2006, 10:13 PM
He doesn't make very many of them and doesn't seem to be as interested in money as he is in quality.

Mass production and quality are not mutually exclusive. He could produce a quality product and make good money doing it while satisfying the needs of a larger number of hobbiests. Sounds like a win-win-win situation to me.

Most products are designed by engineers and made by workers with lower skill levels or by machines. There is no reason to have a product that is manufactured by the designer - all that will do is unnecessarily add cost and limit the designer's ability to profit from their design. It does not take an engineer to cut grooves, pop in o-rings, and screw in screws.

djperezo
09/02/2006, 11:33 PM
Most products are designed by engineers and made by workers with lower skill levels or by machines. There is no reason to have a product that is manufactured by the designer - all that will do is unnecessarily add cost and limit the designer's ability to profit from their design. It does not take an engineer to cut grooves, pop in o-rings, and screw in screws.[/QUOTE]

This is so true that is why Royal Exclusiv pay their "workers with lower skills" to make these pumps by hand. As for marketing the thing, they target a more exclusiv clientel, not the masses. Its like Bentley, or Lamborghini making their cars (mostly put together by hand) and selling it at an outrageous price also.

Jim_S
09/02/2006, 11:56 PM
[/B][/QUOTE]This is so true that is why Royal Exclusiv pay their "workers with lower skills" to make these pumps by hand. As for marketing the thing, they target a more exclusiv clientel, not the masses. Its like Bentley, or Lamborghini making their cars (mostly put together by hand) and selling it at an outrageous price also. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree 100%

RE just simply doesn't want/and or care if everyone has their stuff.

Sure they'd like to sell as much of it as possible... at their price. But they're not gonna lower prices so "everyone" can get one. (I wish they would ;) ) "Everyone" just doesn't seem to be their market. "Only the select few" is their market. And I'm sure they'll be happy to keep it that way.

Jim