PDA

View Full Version : test

rmarc005
09/02/2006, 11:48 PM
I have a refractometer for salinity- it's around 1.025. I have FastTest PH (8.2) Fast Test Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia. I have a Salifert Phosphate test and a Calcium Pro test that for the life of me I can not figure out so that is why I go to the store. I have hesitated to buy a different test for fear they are all that complex and plus I just spent a lot of money on it. My fish store tests for free. I also have a Seachem Magnesium, Carbonate, Borate test but I have not had a chance to use it yet. I add Reef Calcium per the instructions as well as Coral Vital, but I guess you are saying that "Turbo Cal" would do the job better? What is Kent DkH? Isn't alkalinity the same as PH?

mg426
09/03/2006, 12:08 AM
PH and ALK are not the same thing, allthough alk can effect PH.
To use the Salifert kit you use the remaining test liquid (the amount left in the syringe to transfer to the chart for your reading) So if you have .20 ML left in the syringe at the time of the color change that equals 400ppm ca. Try looking in the chemistry forum for articles by Randy Holmes Farely. They should explain this more detail. Best of luck

PatMayo
09/03/2006, 01:20 AM
Yes, chemistry forum is your best bet. As well you can go to the Salifert forum to get answers about their test kits.

Regards,

Pat

mg426
09/03/2006, 01:23 AM
I have to agree Randy is the man.

bertoni
09/03/2006, 01:31 AM
This article explains alkalinity:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2002/chemistry.htm

For our purposes, it's roughly a measure of the carbonate content of the water. It affect pH, and is consumed by corals, etc, to deposit their calcium carbonate skeletons.

I would recommend testing alkalinity regularly, and dosing with a 2-part calcium-alkalinity supplement as the test indicates is needed. This article might be useful:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

The doses on various bottle really are just guesses as to how much the tank is consuming, and they can be very far off.

rmarc005
09/03/2006, 12:13 PM
What is a good alkalinity/calcium supplement? A gentleman before mentioned some names of stuff to add, but to be honest I am having trouble finding the info again. Sorry.

bertoni
09/03/2006, 12:28 PM
B-Ionic, Kent Tech CB, and C-Balance would all be reasonable choices, in my opinion. I've used B-Ionic for years.

rmarc005
09/03/2006, 01:58 PM
Thank you- I was smart this time and put this info in my fish tank folder.

Gina