PDA

View Full Version : Nano Customs

fishnut321
09/03/2006, 11:13 AM
hey, ive been looking at a small system for my dorm room... i plan to have zoas and maybe a could rics in tank along with a couple fish.....has anyone had any experience with these tanks?? im looking at the:

2006 Nanocustoms Nanocube 12DX - 3.24 Series (72w)
- Bulb 1 Type Actinic Blue
- Bulb 2 Type 50/50 (10000K Day/7100K Blue)
- Bulb 3 Type 50/50 (10000K Day/7100K Blue)
- Cooling Fans Increased Airflow
- Moonlight Option NVM Fix & Power Adapter
- ICA Chiller none
- Fuge Light none
- AC Adapter 12v/500mA AC Adapter
- Warranty Standard 6 mo - Excludes Bulbs

i know this will be enough lighting, but what bulbs should i get?? i want to have alot of actinic to show of the corals and fish, but not get overwelmed with actinic. Also since i have to have fish, because girls all want to see nemo, i plan on getting a aqua c nano remora... the problem is i dont know how i can install it on a nano.. has anyone tried? any posts will be appreciated! thanks

binaryterror
09/03/2006, 12:10 PM
The skimmer is a HOB. So all it does is have a pump sit in the back compartment. Very easy, and a VERY good investment! As for bulbs, I would get 2 Actinic, and 1 10k bulb. it would give a really nice blue tint, but not too overwhelming.

jason9jay
09/03/2006, 12:53 PM
I took out all that stuff in the back(minus charcoal/sponges) and threw in LR rubble, worked great!

fishnut321
09/03/2006, 02:03 PM
ok, so the pump will fit in the back chamber? i will probably also upgrade the main cirulation pump, probably a maxi jet, but what size? Is the back of the canopy open? or do i have to cut out part of it to hang the skimmer?

fishnut321
09/03/2006, 05:07 PM
72 watts of pc lighting should be enough to grow zoas fairly fast, at least not inhibit growth right?

EMBRYOGUY
09/03/2006, 05:20 PM
you realy just need a stock dx.

throw rubble rock in the back, chemipure. water change once a week.

replace stock pump with mj 606.

fishnut321
09/03/2006, 05:49 PM
would you recommend the fuge light, does the algae fuge help that much, im going to have a really good skimmer and do weekly water changes, so is it worth the extra money/heat?

EMBRYOGUY
09/03/2006, 05:53 PM
you do not need a skimmer. weekly water changes will work fine.

i do use a small fuge light but i dont think its necessary. just throw rubble rock back there. sand and alot of live rock. weekly water changes.

there are of course many ways to do it. but make it simple. ! enjoy the tank dont make it control you. your in college. you dont have time to look at it 24rs. make it SIMPLE. water water changes is the best. better than any fuge/skimmer can do.

Elmo18
09/03/2006, 08:33 PM
I have heard of NanoCube's just totally cracking and emptying...midnight....

is this true?

Best,
Ilham

EMBRYOGUY
09/03/2006, 08:40 PM
yes 2 of mine, older models though.

chrisstie
09/03/2006, 10:22 PM
There's other options like the aquapod and now a "uniquarium" but I only have aquapod experience which I really should update my experience time with.. its going on 5 months or so now!

fishnut321
09/03/2006, 11:19 PM
hmm... have there been any failures with the newer model nano cubes?? please dont tempt me further with the larger tank!! ive got to move this thing several times a year, and im in college i cant afford it haha... does anyone else use a skimmer, im a fan of nutrient low systems, which means regular maintence and a skimmer is a must!!! does anyone know more about adding a second pump in the 12g nanocube?

Thanks to all who replied, im inching my way to getting my dorm room reef!

EMBRYOGUY
09/03/2006, 11:27 PM
nano-reef.com

beyondtheblue
09/05/2006, 05:13 PM
Your original choice in lighting is just fine. You have a hood and your choice of skimmers is limited and imo not needed. A weekly water change is all that is needed. I have the 24g version of said setup and it looks and works great. I do use the 2nd chamber as a refugium with lr rubble and chaeto. I velcroed a 2x9w coralife light fixture to the back. You can cut the black backing off yourself behind the 2nd chamber or nanocustoms can do it for you. They are great and do a wonderful job btw.

As to the cracking of NCs...those are the older units and with thinner glass. Anything you buy now should be fine.

Mark426
09/06/2006, 06:33 AM
Check out http://www.nano-reef.com

I dont know of anyone thats using a skimmer in a jbj nanocube anymore. Its been tried over and over, most have found that it just isnt justified.