PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Molt - smasher regeneration

SkinnyPete
09/03/2006, 08:01 PM
So, after my peacock lost both smashers during a nightmare acclimation when I bought him from a fish store with extremely high salinity - he has successfully molted a couple months ago, and is molting again as we speak. He's throwing pieces of his shell out of his burrough right now.

So, I thought I read (but I can't find it again) that his smashers will be smaller and weaker - but workable after the second molt. Should I be continuing to feed raw shrimp until after the 3rd molt? Or should they be getting a workout after the 2nd? I can't remember.

Thanks.

SkinnyPete
09/03/2006, 08:17 PM
Answered my own question:

"If the entire appendage is lost, after one molt there will be a small, poorly colored appendage. It will not be functional. After a second molt, it will be a little more than half size and will move, but not strike very well. After a third molt, it will be 3/4 size and functional (but weaker). After a fourth molt, you won't know the difference."

So, I'm assuming after the 3rd molt, I should start giving him live food to smash? Or wait for the 4th molt?