PDA

View Full Version : crazy hermit crabs!!

daisybud
09/04/2006, 09:11 AM
What are they doing?? 2 of my hermit crabs both scarlet legged, have been doing what I think is fighting. I larger shelled one is pulling the other smaller one out of its shell. I have separated them 3 times already this morning. I had to put the smaller one near its original shell and then it went back in the shell. Are they fighting or is it a crazy mating ritual??

Shagsbeard
09/04/2006, 09:20 AM
You're getting into a fight that you have no business in. Leave the critters alone. Sure... the small one is getting picked on, but that's nature. It's not mating. It's dominance. If there is a limit on resources (shells, food, hiding space...) the fight might turn leathal, but most of it is simply establishing who is boss.

daisybud
09/04/2006, 09:26 AM
Thanks from now on they are on their own...

sir_dudeguy
09/04/2006, 09:29 AM
ya they're fighting for the shells most likely. Take them apart and throw in a ton of empty shells. Thats what everyone seems to recommend, however i've got 3 dif. types, and all of them prefer killing cerith snails isntead of taking the shells i gave them. Thats why i dont recommend getting hermits with snails.

I've also heard that hermit crabs are actually rarely found in reefs. I dont know if thats true or not, and i'm sure that they are in some reefs, but probably not too many.

subijitsu
09/04/2006, 09:30 AM
My blue legged ones did this too. The big one is the bully for sure. Sometimes the bigger ones even team up on a smaller one but I havent lost one yet.