PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions

192clark
09/04/2006, 09:52 AM
I intend to install a closed loop and have looked at the Sequence Dart and Barracuda. Then I noticed on Marine Depot's page they also carry Sequence Salt water pumps.
Ist question which pump and why?
2nd question my tank has two built in overflows at either end with 2 holes pre drilled. Would you guys use all 4 holes for drains and then plumb the returns both for closed loop and sump return up and over the back?

raddogz
09/04/2006, 03:31 PM
Most people will recommend the Sequence pump specifically the Dart due to dependability, relative low wattage to comparable pumps, and low heat transfer back to the tank.

A closed loop system will entail pulling water out of the tank into the pump and pumping it straight back to the system (it never enters or exits the sump).

If you use all four holes of the overflow as drains (some have done this) you will need to a powerful enough pump to pump the water back in as fast as the water is entering the sump.

One thing you have to remember is once the main pump is turned off all the water will drain back into the sump. Your 50g sump/refugium may not hold that much water, since I am assuming that half of the sump will be full at all times.

Kent E
09/04/2006, 05:40 PM
I have 4 darts. They advertise them as the quietest pump of the market. They are not. They are very loud atleast to me. I have to drill 8 large holes in the floor and put them in the basement. THis will not be fun. Other than that they are great pumps.