PDA

View Full Version : anthelia question

atteb66
09/04/2006, 10:21 AM
What type of flow should I keep my Anthelia in?

So they are blowing over or just a suttle movement?

Amy

gobind
09/04/2006, 10:58 AM
Hi between suttle and blowing is what i would do. Good results.

Psychographic
09/04/2006, 04:31 PM
Mine are doing well with a gentle on and off flow from a SCWD. I also think they look much better in a gentle flow than a strong flow.

Biotoper
09/04/2006, 06:33 PM
I have three rocks of them in my tank, with multiple separated colonies on each rock. The rock with high, turbulent flow looks the fullest and spreads well. Another in gentle turbulent flow doesn't extend as much but also spreads well. The one in moderate, more linear flow does the worst, some colonies are somewhat stunted, and they have not spread much. The differences may also have to do with other factors such as proximity to do with proximity to certain corals or height in the tank. Anthelia's so hardy, it'll do pretty well anywhere.

atteb66
09/04/2006, 09:50 PM
Are they related to the xenia?

edwardbotha
09/05/2006, 05:24 AM
gentle current.

Xenia + Anthelia r under group Alycyoniina and genus of the Xeniidae. Anthelia rise form mat and xenia from stalk with branches.

Same care as xenia, just a little bit easier 2 keep. moderate current and good light. Brighter colored comes from shallower water and need stronger light.

blange3
09/05/2006, 08:44 AM
My experiences match Biotoper. The best growth and extension come from the ones in the highest flow areas.

They grow anywhere, but I find the constantly waving ones most attractive.

Phyxius
09/09/2006, 09:20 AM
I have them in 3 tanks under different lighting and different flows.
one has pretty heavy alternating flow and the other is under pretty constant flow and they both do really well. Son has some in his Nano with moderate flow where it sways around real gently and does good also.
Heres a pic (not real good) of a small rock we put in the frag tank under constant return line flow with a mix of alternating current from a wavemaker so it sways constantly. It has quadrupled in size from the small piece from my sons nano in the last few months. Pic was taken with pumps off to get a better pic. For size comparison that plastic piece its sitting in is a suction cup soap dish that the anthelia is actually also growing out of the bottom of too. We are slowly getting rid of these in the tank since they seem to grow like weeds for us :)

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/78452Picture_050__Small_.jpg