PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing/pump help

nemonick84
09/05/2006, 11:52 AM
I've just started building my 120 into the wall and I need to start planning my plumbing. I need some advice on my flow rate and pump size - also, in understanding the GPH vs. delivery head...just need some clarification. I was looking at the Eheim 1260 submersible which says it can deliver 635gph @ 12'1" delivery head. Does that mean that if the pump was to sit 12'1" below the tank it would deliver water at a rate of 635gph? And if so, if it were to only sit about 5' under the tank would the flow rate be considerably increased? Finally, on a 120 AGA tank, what would I be looking at for an overflow rate? The tank will be predominantly SPS with several softies and LPS. Any help is much appreciated.
Nick

liquidlunch
09/05/2006, 12:10 PM
You are right but there are other factors like conduit type and diameter, valves, 45's,etc
Play w/ this calculator to get a better idea.
http://reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

toddlaco
09/05/2006, 12:13 PM
The head loss in feet considers that you are pumping the water straight up with no fittings in the plumbing. It is almost impossible for anyone here to estimate your head loss without knowing more specifics. i.e. length of pipes, number of 90 degree angles, unions, check valves and on and on.

Your best bet to figure out head loss would be to know how you are going to plumb the system and there is a great head loss calculator on the Home Page of this site that will let you input many different pumps.

After you figure out your head loss, you should figure turning over the tank water volume 3 to 5 times an hour. For SPS you will need much more flow than your overflow can handle, so you will have to figure on using some power heads, Tunze's or closed loop system. Some people out there are actually turning their water volume over up to 20 times an hour.