PDA

View Full Version : Hair Algae

lnnguyen714
09/05/2006, 01:35 PM
Hi to all,
What is the best way to get rid of hair algae? Are there anyone outhere using DT's Live? I dont know if it is the problem, but i notice that hair algae grow like crazy when i using them. Thank you for your help.

Tank info
200 gallon reef
flameangel, purple tang, clown, six line wrase, copperband butterfly, about 20 turbo snail, 50 red leg hermit,

neyugn0w01
09/05/2006, 01:40 PM
usually tanks high in nutrients will have hair algae or tanks going through a cycle. if you don't have a skimmer get one.

Billybeau1
09/05/2006, 01:52 PM
High phosphate levels can cause this. Do you test for PO4 ?

Skimming and growing macroalgae help considerably but some need to use a GFO to absorb the excessive PO4 in the water. Check out these articles.

Phosphorus: Algaes best friend
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2002/chem.htm

and

Iron Oxide Hydroxide (GFO's)
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/index.htm

These and many other great articles can be found in the Reef Chemistry Forum. :)

lnnguyen714
09/05/2006, 02:32 PM
According to the test kit, phosphate level near zero. I do know that the nitrate is little high. Thank you for the links to article. I am thinking do 5% water change every week and stop feeding DT to see if the problem go away. my tank is just upgraded from 100 gal to 200 gal for about 6 months and the skimmer work very well and should rated for 200 gallon heavy loaded tank. Thank you four help. LN

boomsticks
09/05/2006, 02:40 PM
I have so freakin much of it I just pull it out and make salads with it! LOL Problem seems to fix with a algae blenny. They eat the crap while it is still alive instead of removing its (food) phosphates and nitrates which will kill it and then start the stupid cycle all over again.

saltman1
09/05/2006, 02:59 PM
I too am beginning to get it here and there on my rock work. Havent done a water change ina while..although all sps still look great.