PDA

View Full Version : Question about plumbing my tank with Spa Flex.

PotysGSXR
09/05/2006, 01:50 PM
So after much trial and error, I've decided to plumb my new tank with Spa Flex.

I have a few questions though. When connecting Spaflex to elbows or T fittings, do they work the same way as pvc pipes? Is it simply a matter of getting PVC glue and putting them together or do I need to connect them in a whole different manner?

Also, my new tank is a 20L on a stand. I have an overflow box with 2- 1" holes leading down to the sump. Do you think a QuietOne pump 3000 which has a GPH of about 780GPH, would suffice for a return? The return will be split into 2 differnt returns, one at each end of the tank coming out through 1" bulkheads.
I just hope that the pump will be able to handle that.

Next, I'd like to plumb an external CL system. Can anyone advise me on a very quiet external pump that's rated for about 1500GHP (because it will be a predominantly clam/sps tank and it will also go through a SCWD) that isn't too expensive and can be plumbed externally?

Thanks everyone in advance.

dkh0331
09/05/2006, 01:55 PM
As for gluing the spa flex, I read a while back that the spa flex has a coating on it that rigid pvc does not. That being said, the process that I have followed is 1) pvc cleaner, 2) pvc primer and 3) pvc glue designed for spa flex (I purchased at Savko.com). I set up my basement sump 2 x using that process and knock on wood - no leaks.

HTH

David

PotysGSXR
09/05/2006, 02:05 PM
Can anyonr else confirm that information?
Also, is PVC primer, cleaner and glue somrthing i can get at home depot?

Waxxiemann
09/05/2006, 02:20 PM
I've read the regular old PVC glue (OATLEY .... or OATEY) will do the trick. I know a guy who's been running 2 tanks for years with no leaks.

Good luck.

rigleautomotive
09/05/2006, 02:25 PM
primer and regular pvc glue is wnat i have used.did not know there was spa flex glue.my systems do not leak.

PotysGSXR
09/05/2006, 02:33 PM
so spa flex looks just like regular pvc piping but is flexible? Or is the tubing that's ribbed?

jurnaza
09/05/2006, 02:35 PM
Same here... PVC primer & regular PVC glue... joints have been leak free for three years.

J

SDguy
09/05/2006, 02:50 PM
Another vote for just PVC primer and glue....no problems.

PotysGSXR
09/05/2006, 02:52 PM
Do they sell PVC Primer glue at homedepot?

anthony34
09/05/2006, 03:38 PM
yep all my work is done with spa flex and the pvc primer and glue worked fine