PDA

View Full Version : Transfering sand

Vanquishxxxx
09/05/2006, 02:17 PM
I recently got a 75 gallons tank and woudl iek to transfer all my stuff to that from my 55. I have about 4 inchs of sand in my 55g and would like to know how to do it. Should i wash it all off and seed it with new live sand from fish store, or shoudl i put it right into new tank with out cleaning?.

HBtank
09/05/2006, 03:09 PM
I would get all new sand (not live, just whatever type of cheap sand you prefer) and seed the top layer with your old sand. If you can get other types from other people, that's always a bonus, anytime.

To much junk is stored (especially in the lower layers) to take all yours with you, and it's not effective to wash.

I just did this (55g to 80g) and I took about 1/3 to 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket full (from the top layer in the 55g) and it worked for me. Most people only reccomend a few cups of established live sand from other tanks when starting a brand new tank to get a huge jump on turning all the sand live anyways. Plus I am guessing you will be moving a bunch of established live rock to, that will speed everything up as well.

SirSmapty
09/05/2006, 03:38 PM
When you say cheap sand, can I just get like playground sand, or does it need to be specific sand, just not live sand from the LFS? I'm thinking of changing out the crushed coral in my tank and going sand, I just don't want to have to incure the cost of that much sand.

HBtank
09/05/2006, 03:41 PM
I use cheap play sand. I personally make my choice based on color, but there are many opinions on what types are better here on reef central (silica vs. aragonite, small vs. large grain size.. etc.)

In the end I think color is the only real difference you will find, even with all the debate there has been no real evidence that any particular sand is "bad".

Probably cost you about 10 bucks at a home depot like place, and if you can get a couple cups of live sand from someone to put on top of it you will be set.

SirSmapty
09/05/2006, 06:37 PM
Cool, Thanks HB.
I've used play sand in my Freshwater tanks for years, but I'm just getting into salt (Thanks to having a 3 year old who can't get enough of Nemo, and me looking for an excuse to get another tank).

Though I just found out I'll be going to the Florida cost in a couple of weeks, so I might get a couple of rubbermaid tubs full of sand while I'm there.

donald altman
09/05/2006, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't reccomend it... it is illegal