PDA

View Full Version : Copperband Butterfly

SilverShark
09/05/2006, 02:56 PM
I really love this species but can some current owners tell me there experiences with them because I would love to get one but of course want one that will not starve itself!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/andy1982/Copperband2.jpg

SilverShark
09/05/2006, 03:41 PM
anyone?

Waxxiemann
09/05/2006, 03:46 PM
I added my Copperband on Sat. He was eating Mysis @ the store. So far, he does not really seem to know what to do when I feed but he spends the day eating aptasia and other odds and ends off of the rocks.

A few of my fish bullied him when I first added him but that seems to have subsided. I am going to try some mussles on the half shell tonight when I get home from work.

The fish is very alert and active in my tank. He was eating aptasia like 5 minutes after he went it.

I worry that I will not be able to get this fish to eat. He looks nice and happy so I'll just keep trying different things. I really hope he takes to the mussles though. I've heard that they love them.

This fish is really just beautiful and I hope it does well. Sorry I don't really have a lot of advice for you but I thought I'd share.

Here's a pic of him on Sunday, sorry its a little blurry and oversized.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/Waxxiemann/copperband001.jpg

SilverShark
09/05/2006, 03:50 PM
Awesome photo! What other fish do you have in your tank?

Waxxiemann
09/05/2006, 03:54 PM
5 chromis (2 in fuge and 3 in display)
foxface
ocellaris clown
royal gramma
lawnmower blenny
cleaner wrasse
I also have a longnose hawk living in my fuge.

Waxxiemann
09/05/2006, 03:56 PM
Glad you like the pic cause I SUCK at taking them. I need a better camera.

SilverShark
09/05/2006, 03:56 PM
Nice selection of fish you got there. I hope my yellow tang wouldn't be aggressive to a Copperband if I got one!.

Waxxiemann
09/05/2006, 04:02 PM
it will. I have never seen my fish act as aggressivly as they did when I added this fish and they are all pretty much big whimps. Yellows are really mean.

Maybe take the yellow out for a while and put him back in after your copperband gets fully acclimated to its new tank.

seems to me that copperbands are MEGA fragile. Your not supposed to expose them to air and such. I personally don't feel "out of the woods" by any means with this fish. They are HARD to keep.

Good luck to you if you decide on this fish. A good choice but watch out for that yellow tang. It seems that fish know when the new guy is a weakling and they capitolize on it.

SilverShark
09/05/2006, 04:16 PM
Mine seems so friendly though!! But I have read a few reports that say Yellow Tangs do act aggresively at first and calm down after a few days - which I hope mine does if I added a Copperband.

Have you read Waxxiemann about putting food inbetween a mussells shell and wedging it in the rockwood? As this is supposed to help Copperbands with feeding troubles.

I think I will definitely give one a try though...unless anyone else has any bad stories about them....?

Waxxiemann
09/05/2006, 04:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8084083#post8084083 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SilverShark
Mine seems so friendly though!! But I have read a few reports that say Yellow Tangs do act aggresively at first and calm down after a few days - which I hope mine does if I added a Copperband.

Have you read Waxxiemann about putting food inbetween a mussells shell and wedging it in the rockwood? As this is supposed to help Copperbands with feeding troubles.

I think I will definitely give one a try though...unless anyone else has any bad stories about them....?

I'll try that. I hope it works.

Oh somthing else to consider. You have to watch out for LPS and clam mantles. I've read that they can pick on clams sometimes. He hasn't bothered my Blastos yet though.

SilverShark
09/05/2006, 04:22 PM
I have no clams in my tank, except I have LPS corals - frogspawn, torch etc which I am very fond of. Although they have stinging tenticles so hopefully should be ok with them :confused:

Flatlander
09/05/2006, 04:32 PM
We had a good copperband thread a few days ago. Lots of good inof and pics. Let me know if you cant find it.

SilverShark
09/05/2006, 04:52 PM
can't find it, can you show me the thread, thanks :)

Waxxiemann
09/05/2006, 05:12 PM
I can't find it either. I think I remember seeing it though.

Flatlander
09/06/2006, 07:55 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=918513&perpage=25&highlight=copperband&pagenumber=1

SilverShark
09/06/2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the link Flatlander :)

aiko670
09/06/2006, 01:44 PM
I got one this weekend from another reefer, the thing is already eating like crazy in my tank. It eats just about anything I drop in the tank except for Nori.

Good luck!
Adam