PDA

View Full Version : what size of bulkhead for a 90 gallon?

waverz
09/05/2006, 03:49 PM
Gonna drill my 90 gallon and im not sure what size of bulkhead to use....any reccomendations?

jeffbrig
09/05/2006, 04:05 PM
Decide what your pump and flow rate will be first. Make sure your bulkhead size accomodates the pump's output size. Make sure the plumbing's big enough to easily carry the flow you require.

-or-

Get the biggest size you can reasonably accomodate in your overflow. Oversizing plumbing is never a bad thing (within reason)

I would never recommend less than 1", and 1.25" is even better, assuming magnetic drive pumps. If you're planning to use a centrifugal pump (sequence, dolphin, etc.), you'll probably need 1.5" for the return to avoid choking the pump. If you choose a pressure rated pump like iwaki, you may not need extra size on the return, but you probably will on the drain to keep up.

Lots to think about.... hope that helps.

waverz
09/05/2006, 04:55 PM
I will be using a supreme mag 24 for a return and am building my own internal overflow out of black acrylic. Its gonna be your basic 3 sided corner mount design. The bottom of my tank is tempered so i will be drilling the back in the top right corner.