PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal?

jcard71
09/05/2006, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure if this is allowed, but I found this deal on-line from someone in my area and was hoping to get some feedback on this tank or if I should pursue this or not?

"72 gal. bow front ALL GLASS tank, glass top dual 4'lamps, tide pool filter, prizem pro.delux skimmer, about 70 lbs. of live rock,30 lbs. live sand , seaclear 300 filter, all pumps and heater go with it. stand is black and will go with it.
comes with fish !! Well over $1300.00 invested. Rocks and sand alone is over $500.00. $600.00 or B/O"

MCary
09/05/2006, 04:14 PM
Lets see. You should pay about half of the new price. This is not because thats what its worth, its just because that is approximately the going rate. A 72 bowfront goes about what? $250 maybe so $125 is fair.. 70 pounds of LR at $3/pound worth about $210. Don't really care about the sand, its difficult to move. May kill it trying. I would take the prism and the tidepool if thrown in but wouldn't pay for them. Black stand $50. What about lights? That's a biggie. So far I have $365 as a fair offer. Need to know what fish and what lights.

Mike

ACBlinky
09/05/2006, 07:54 PM
It says 'dual 4' lamps', which I'm willing to bet means 2 x 40W T12/T8. If they're PC, T5 etc. I would expect the seller to mention it, since lighting is often a major expense and it might make the deal well worth it. IMO honestly for $600 you'd be better off investing the money in a new setup.

jcard71
09/06/2006, 09:01 AM
Thanks!!!

I'm going down the new tank setup road!

Travis L. Stevens
09/06/2006, 09:13 AM
I don't think it's that great of a price. I wouldn't pay more than $2 per gallon on a tank. That means I wouldn't pay more than $150 for a 72g bowfront. The lights aren't worth anything unless they aren't Normal Output Lamps. The Tidepool Filter is worthless to me and would sit in a closet. Same thing with the Prizm skimmer. I wouldn't pay more than $3/pound for live rock, so that's almost another $200. The sand is worthless, all you would need is a cup of it to seed new sand. Though I consider it worthless, you could use it. Once again, the seaclear would just sit in the closet and collect dust for me. The pumps and heater will be useful, but it depends on what they are. If they are Rios, I would toss them out of the tank. It also doesn't say if this is reef ready. I assume it is with the explanation. Depending on what the fish are, I wouldn't pay for them either and might take them to a LFS. In short, I might pay $400 for a setup like this. OR, you could pay the full price because it is fair and attempt to sell what's left over for the $200 in equipment that you wouldn't use.