PDA

View Full Version : Should it matter whether I use T5's or VHO?

johnnstacy
09/05/2006, 04:46 PM
Does anyone feel that either provide an advantage for growing SPS? Assuming of course that you already have MH in place.

Amphiprion
09/05/2006, 04:48 PM
If metal halides are already in place, I prefer the look of the actinic VHOs. Probably not much of an advantage either way, assuming you have actinic lamps. If not, then the T5s will have an advantage in the intensity of the light they emit.

garvondavis14
09/05/2006, 05:21 PM
yeah, t5s provide much more intensity and growing power, but many ppl prefer the look of vho actinic

R33f3r
09/05/2006, 06:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8084505#post8084505 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by garvondavis14
yeah, t5s provide much more intensity and growing power, but many ppl prefer the look of vho actinic

UVL makes a T5 actinic that is VERY close to the VHO version.

Shawnts106
09/05/2006, 06:51 PM
Does anyone feel that either provide an advantage for growing SPS?

Bottom Line:

T5's look better (not purple/pink)

T5's can grow the mess out of Acros and other SPS just as well as MH with LESS energy used and last longer!!!

Invest in T5's and save yourself some money on the power bill and make some money selling the frags!!!

CeeGee
09/05/2006, 09:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8085105#post8085105 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shawnts106
Bottom Line:

T5's look better (not purple/pink)

T5's can grow the mess out of Acros and other SPS just as well as MH with LESS energy used and last longer!!!

Invest in T5's and save yourself some money on the power bill and make some money selling the frags!!!

I am glad that someone is happy with their T5's. I am going to MH as soon as possible.

Shawnts106
09/06/2006, 06:40 PM
Why miss the sparkle? ripple?

whats up with yours?

fishdoc11
09/06/2006, 07:59 PM
Since you are looking for supplimentation for coloration
(I assume). URI VHO atinics are the best choice IMO. Tried and true and from the few threads I read about the new T5 atinics the T5's just aren't the same.
FWIW, Chris

CeeGee
09/06/2006, 08:07 PM
Corals look bad. I feel that it is an uproven technology and I feel I made a very expensive mistake. I thought it would be less expensive and give me the results that I am looking for but so far no dice. Knowing my luck if I ever get to go to MH I will see no improvements :)

Shawnts106
09/07/2006, 05:09 PM
CG, I think you have had a HUGE problem... You need to go to the LF&E forum and tell GRIM why you arent happy and see what he can tell you to make you happy...

its probably your bulb choices and ballast.

CeeGee
09/07/2006, 08:15 PM
I am using a 4 X 39 watt reefgeek setup. Individual icecap reflectors and triad ballasts. Bulb choices are

Actinic Plus :Back
Aquablue Plus
Aquablue Plus
UVL Super Actinic :Front

So what is the problem? I didn't cheap out I got the best T5 setup that you can get here in the states. All of my levels are pristine and stay that way. I have had the setup for about a year and a half. At first everything looked good and then corals started lightening and it just got worse and worse. I started a massive attack on keeping great water quality and I have color but nothing in comparison to some of these guys around here. My green slimer looks yellowish.

I run a ASM G3 that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overkill for the size tank I have and I also use carbon (changed every two weeks).

I have had a slight nutrient problem that I think can only be solved by going BB. I plan to do that as soon as I can.

JamesJR
09/10/2006, 03:37 PM
I was having the same question. I am setting up my old 55 and wondering if I should rig my icecap 660 up to run t5's or just keep them with the old VHO lights. I am moving into a small apartment and I don't want to mess with my MH.

RichConley
09/10/2006, 07:34 PM
cegee. You need to feed more. Not less.