PDA

View Full Version : UV and coraline algae

petoonia
09/05/2006, 05:19 PM
Will using a UV sterilizer stop the growth of coraline algae. We just added a UV to help fight ICH. Coraline algae has just begun to grow in our tank, and we want it to continue.

Thanks!!!

The_Taz_Devil
09/05/2006, 05:24 PM
UV wont affect the Coralline growth, alkalinity and calcium coupled with good flow and a good high and constant PH will help.

The_Taz_Devil
09/05/2006, 05:25 PM
Why are you using UV in a reef tank - why not take the fish out and QT it ? UV will kill off alot of beneficial stuff in the tank ?

petoonia
09/05/2006, 05:38 PM
I have 2 fish in my tank a percula clown and a coral beauty. The clown has never been infected, the coral beauty had ich, but is currently ich free. We are trying prevent further outbreaks. Although I am worried about killling off the good stuff.

I would have to tear down 100lbs. of LR, and stress out my sebae anemone. To get the fish out. Removing the fish is going to be a last resort.

Thanks for you response!

The_Taz_Devil
09/05/2006, 05:43 PM
If you dont have an ich problem at the moment what caused it in the first place ? What size and parameters are your tank, whats the water change regime and how long has the tank been running ? Are you sure its ICH the coral beauty had ? Not being funny mate.....

petoonia
09/05/2006, 05:57 PM
We learned our lesson about quarantine tanks the hard way. We didnt do it and suffered the consequences.

We think we introduced it when we put in a damsel shortly after the tank was cycled. At the time we got some bad advice about ich. After we removed the damsel and put the clown in the tank there were no signs of ich.

Awhile later we added the coral beauty, it got really stressed out during introduction to the tank, and soon after developed ich. We
are sure it is ich.

The tank has been running about 2 months. Its a 65g. We do a 20% water change about every 10 days. All the levels are normal. Everything is in good health right now, but I know ich happens in cycles. So we are trying help in preventing the next outbreak.

Thanks!

cmc5dc
09/05/2006, 06:41 PM
Their are many successful reef tanks utilizing UV, its all a matter of preference.;)

Myself, I don't have room for a quarantine tank. Now to your question, no UV will not affect your coraline....it will still grow.

petoonia
09/05/2006, 06:46 PM
How about filter feeders like feather dusters?

Thanks!!!

yeldarbj
09/05/2006, 06:57 PM
petoonia,

Just curious what type of UV you are using on your 65. I've got a 65 (about 3 months old) and am considering adding one as well. I've heard both the pros and cons - even some who say to only run the UV during the day, because some the beneficial critters only emerge at night (not sure about the validity of that though).

Thanks

petoonia
09/05/2006, 07:06 PM
We are using a coralife 9W turbo twist, running at approx. 60gph. Which is the recomended gph for killing parasites. It has only been a few days, we are mainly trying to fight ich. The water does seem a bit clearer, and no new signs of ich yet. We will eventually cut down the time we run it per day.

yeldarbj
09/05/2006, 08:14 PM
I was looking at that model as well. What type of pump are you using to run it? How is it attached? I was thinking about running one in-line on a cannister but would probably have to jump to the 18 watt model due to the higher flow.

Thanks for the info. I don't mean to hijack the thread in another direction, but I'm in a similar situation, got a foxface that looks like it might have some ich on its tail (but not positive yet) and also a percula that shows no symptoms. I just want to help prevent any future outbreaks if possible.

cb9tunerguy
09/05/2006, 08:19 PM
i was just reading up on this the other day. here is a link to an exelent article on marine ich

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

petoonia
09/05/2006, 08:39 PM
We are using a mini jet 606. We have the UV hanging on the back of the tank. With tubing connecting the two. I really didnt know much about setting them up so my husband did all of it. The guy at the LFS walked him through it. It doesnt look pretty with all of the stuff in the tank, but we dont have a wet/dry on this tank. I dont know too much about using them inline. I think I remember reading threads about it somewhere on RC.

Good Luck!!!

dermer
09/05/2006, 08:58 PM
i have one on my 75 and i have lots of coraline growth and mine is plumbed in with my skimmer

petoonia
09/05/2006, 09:02 PM
Has anyone had a UV sterilizer have a negative effect on filter feeders llike feather dusters? I am concerned that I might be killing off their food source?

druce
09/05/2006, 09:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8084532#post8084532 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The_Taz_Devil
Why are you using UV in a reef tank - why not take the fish out and QT it ? UV will kill off alot of beneficial stuff in the tank ?

nope, I've been running UV for months with no issues

affan
09/05/2006, 09:26 PM
FWIW, UV may kill the parasite in its free swimming tomite stages, but what's left of it in sand and rock etc will still be there, which, you will only be able to prevent from breaking out again by excellent husbandry practices, and good diet etc.

The same is applicable for the beneficial bacteria present in your tank. Your sterilizer will not decimate every single shred of it.

Your feather dusters will be fine, as not every single drop of the water will pass through the unit. There's enough life in your water column to sustain your feather dusters in good health. For your peace of mind, however, you may want to consider dosing phyto and the likes etc.

petoonia
09/05/2006, 09:51 PM
Thanks for posting!!!!!