PDA

View Full Version : Is This a bad idea????

PoriferaBob
09/05/2006, 06:23 PM
As anyone even remotely familar with this hobby knows lighting a reef tank can be one of the most expensive start up costs in the life of a tank. I have been working on the set up of my new oceanic 105 gallon reef ready. I plan on using retro fits for my set up. Im having a difficult time finding the right combination of lights and at a affordable price. I decided to try ebay and found a few seemingly promising candidates but Im a little unsure about buying aquarium lighting from ebay??? Is this to much of a gamble??

ambaratur
09/05/2006, 06:42 PM
In my experience often "you get what you pay for". By going with a known company you will get good support and responsiveness for problems.

If your ebay unit arrives broken it can be a pain to deal with them where larger vendors have procedures in place to handle these things better.

Just my opinion but I would not trust e-bay buys unless you are very familliar with the seller.

CoolUsername
09/06/2006, 01:44 AM
I am a little wary of ebay. On lighting. That said. I have purchased name brand lighting on ebay and had good success. The best part of ebay is the feedback rating. Check it. I wish all stores had a feedback rating.

hello lights has been good to me.

TellyFish
09/06/2006, 01:52 AM
I bought a used MH/VHO full setup off eBay for $150. Youll never come close to that cost with a comprable retrofit IMO.

RichConley
09/06/2006, 07:38 AM
As long as you're buying quality components, you'll be fine. Just dont buy the aquatraders/etc crap out there.

psilo
09/06/2006, 08:47 AM
i got a metal halide with 2 year warranty, guy had 99% pos feedback after hundreds of transactions..

I got a 250 with 20k, and my friend got two 400's with a 20 and 10k. The bulbs could be better, but for $100 shipped (for the 250 or the 400) it's quite a good deal, the reflector isnt too bad either. just gotta get some new bulbs in a couple of months.