PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Skinny Mandarine!!

Tava176
09/05/2006, 08:03 PM
I recently moved to my new house...therfore, the tank moved too. My mandarine is looking very very skinny (he has been fine in my 90 gallon of over a year now). He (and all other corals and fish) spent 2 days in plastic totes. He is the only critte to seem skinny and not very meaty. I do not think my copepod population is up to par after the move. What can I do to save him?

He loves blood worms. Should I put him in a 10 gallon tanka nd feed him blood worms 5 or 6 times a day funtil he is back to looking fat??

Please advise.

thanks!

james

FelipeBastos
09/05/2006, 08:23 PM
Try hatching brine.

The artemia is very small and he may eat it.

If he eats bloodworms, try to feed that to him. try live brine is all else fails.

Worse case scenario, ship him to me! :-) My fuge is teeming with all sorts of little 'pods and he'd have a buddy mandarin and seahorse in there.

Felipe

dcombs44
09/05/2006, 08:31 PM
Copepods for sale (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=OCEANPODS&Category_Code=)

These are pricey, but it'd be worth it to save your mandarin and get your pod count back up.

petoonia
09/05/2006, 08:57 PM
Get him to eat as much as possible, his stomach should always be full. Try soaking one batch of food in Selcon daily.

Good Luck!!!

Tava176
09/05/2006, 09:14 PM
I have purchased the copepods in the past. They work great! Had lots of them in my sump....but do ot see them since the move. I may take him out and put him in a 10 gallon adn feed the heck out of him with blood worms, hatched brine, and Cyclop Eze.

Hammercoral
09/05/2006, 09:14 PM
if you have a local reef club ask somebody for some cheato, most likely it will have pods galore on it.

dc
09/05/2006, 09:52 PM
Check this link out.Mandarin diner (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-02/nftt/index.php)

I used it for my skinny mandarin, he now eats anything. I feed frozen first, and then I drop pellets in during the day. I used the diner for a couple months to get him eating.

Tava176
09/06/2006, 05:49 AM
I like the diner idea. I have tried it in the past and my Bristle Star seems to find it and clean it out.

LobsterOfJustice
09/06/2006, 06:09 AM
Do the diner. It saved my mandarin.

dc
09/06/2006, 07:25 AM
You definatley get a lot of sharing with the other critters for sure. Feed your brittle star a chunk of meaty food before you set it in, maybe he won't be as hungry.

2fishy
09/06/2006, 08:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8086442#post8086442 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dc
Check this link out.Mandarin diner (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-02/nftt/index.php)

I used it for my skinny mandarin, he now eats anything. I feed frozen first, and then I drop pellets in during the day. I used the diner for a couple months to get him eating.

That is such a cool idea! I am definately going to try adding that food to my mandarin's diet! Thanks dc for remembering this!:D

dc
09/06/2006, 08:07 AM
Once I got my guy to eating out of that thing, he started eating anything I put in the tank. It's probably saved many lives. I'm sure Melev is a hero for mandarin lovers. I don't mind hatching brine, but it's just not convient for everyone to do.