PDA

View Full Version : Ewww what is this

matasw
09/05/2006, 08:07 PM
I was looking at my tank and coming out of a hole was a centipede looking thing. As far as I could tell it was about 1.5cm long but part of it was still in the LR. It was only out for a second then went back in the rock. I yanked the rock out of the tank in hopes of getting a better look at it. Until I figure out what it is i'm going to keep that piece of LR out. But the rock is really pourous, seems to be more pourous then when i got it. I have attached my rendition of what it looked like.

I just got back from vacation and after tanking a close look at my tank I see all kinds of stuff. I dont know if I never noticed it before or if there is new stuff. So here is the list, the most conerning being that worm/centipede looking thing.

1. Little white sake kind of looks like an egg sack but its a very light beige milky color and has some type of clear fin looking thing sticking out of the top.

2. Incredibly small flower looking things on LR with a short white stem. When you put your hand near them they jump back into the stem. They are clear in color. Kind of looks like a spider web. At least it appears this way they could be going back into the rock.

3. Red centipede with white legs.

Help please i leave again tommorrow and i'm worried :(

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k61/matasw/thing.jpg

James77
09/05/2006, 08:10 PM
without pics- my guesses
1-maybe a sponge?
2- feather duster- harmless
3-bristle worm- most of them are harmless

matasw
09/05/2006, 08:10 PM
Started looking through meleve's reef site. The sack looking thing appears to be this:

http://melevsreef.com/id/sponge.html

Last sponge in the pictures.

matasw
09/05/2006, 08:16 PM
Top row, middle one. This is it.

http://melevsreef.com/id/tube.html

Guess i should have looked first but i was worried. Looking up bristle worms, etc now to detemine the centipede one.

matasw
09/05/2006, 08:23 PM
Seems to be a lot brighter red/orange color than the bristle worms? Is it still a bristle worm or is there something better it might be.

Sk8r
09/05/2006, 08:39 PM
Bristleworms vary from red-orange to pink. They're good guys. Just don't touch them without gloves. Our skin is a magnet for their bristles.

matasw
09/05/2006, 09:05 PM
Ahh okay. He was kind of scary looking so I thought he was probably bad for the tank. I put the LR back in. I'm glad I didn't touch him then. I take it they hurt?

sir_dudeguy
09/05/2006, 09:09 PM
bristles also have grey/black/brown in them sometimes too.

bristles dont really hurt to touch...but its not pleasent thats for sure. I never notice it when i touch them, but then a few seconds later when i rub my finger on something it will move the bristles around in my finger and THATS when you feal it lol. Like an annoying splinter or something.

dc
09/05/2006, 09:25 PM
Well sit back and relax and enjoy the hitchikers that are showing up in your tank. A sign that your tank is progressing. Some of them come and go, others stay and multiply. Get you a flashlight with a red lens and go on a night watch of your tank. You'll be amazed (Or terrified) of what is in there. :D