PDA

View Full Version : Another quiet pump thread...

ek9vboi
09/05/2006, 09:38 PM
So I am looking to get a new pump for my sump. Currently I have a ViaAqua 1300 which puts out around 370gph and it seems rather loud in my bedroom. It is plumbed into a tee inconjunction with my return and refugium. I believe it is returning around 100-150gph into my display tank (29g) after the head loss, I would like to increase it. Not to mention it might be less due to being teed off with my refugium.

My new plan is to get a pump that will work almost silent! The pump will be connected to only my return and the refugium will have a separate pump which will in turn give me more flow which I wanted in my refugium.

The refugium will be powered by a Maxi-Jet 600 which is 160gph and that should be more then enough. Also, it requires less power for it to be in use. It will also be connected to a Hydor FLO which will slow down the flow a little bit more so the nutrients can be absorbed by the macro algaes.

As for the sump pump, I just need it to be quiet! Low power consumption would be great as well. Anything around 300-350gph would be a reasonable amount. Keep in mind there is about 4ft of vertical, 2ft of horizontal head loss, 2 90 degrees, 2 45 degrees, ball valve, and 2 union couplings.

sjm817
09/05/2006, 09:45 PM
Eheim 1250

OnTheReef
09/05/2006, 10:18 PM
Eheim makes the quietest submersible pumps I have been able to find. If you want to go with an external centrifugal pump, I would go with the Dolphin. Also, any pump directly connected to rigid plumbing is going to transmit vibration noise, which can then be amplified by unexpected resonators like the back wall of a tank or a window, etc. Place the pump on a piece of styrofoam and connect the pump to your rigid plumbing via a piece of flexible vinyl or silicon tubing, both of which will dramatically reduce the transmission of vibration noise.

ek9vboi
09/05/2006, 10:37 PM
Looks like I might have to switch over to flexible hosing. Maybe I can do something about my current pump before I got out and spend the extra money.