PDA

View Full Version : My Brain is too full!

Xirxes23
09/05/2006, 10:28 PM
Hello,
I've had this open brain for 2 weeks now, and it seem to fluff up quite nicely, but it seems to be getting TOO large for the avialable space...One side is pressing up against the glass about 3/4 inch, and on the opposite side it is up about 3/4 inch on top of some tonga coral.

Note please that this is a 6.5-7 inch span. I would say the brain is about 4-4.5 inches tall and 7.5-8 inches across when fully inflated. I do not have many other places in the tank that have a sand bed much larger than this.

My question is, do they get much larger than this? if so i am going to have to move some rockwork around(not an easy task seeing how i have 115 lbs all stacked)

Heres a pic for refence on the type of brain:
BIG Brain (http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/NicholeS29/goodbrain-01.jpg)

seems to be happy, just dont want it to be cramped.... in this pic he is about 1/4 inch on glass and 1/4 inch on tonga behind.

affan
09/05/2006, 11:24 PM
After seeing this, I disagree. I'd say it's empty :lol:

ubas
09/05/2006, 11:25 PM
If you have only had the brain for two weeks then what you have witnessed so far is not growth, but just the coral adjusting to its new parameters. Under ideal circumstances, it would take at least several months to observe any real increases in mass.

You definitely don't want the tissue pressing against the glass. It sounds like you need to move/remove some rock to make room.

affan
09/05/2006, 11:27 PM
Brain corals are cool.

McCrary
09/06/2006, 01:30 AM
That is a very beautiful coral, none of my open brains have ever looked that good.