PDA

View Full Version : Need help planning my new 125g

ScoobyDuu24
09/06/2006, 09:59 AM
I just bought a 125 for $100. I am very excited! Maybe too excited, after reading on here I noticed I may have already made some mistakes, for one I used tap water and second I never setup a plan. After reading various threads I think I want to put a sump/fuge in my stand. Using a 30g I want to build Melves Model F (http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/f/sump_f.html) . How hard is it to drill a tank? I think I want one overflow in the center of the tank. Where do I get those black overflows? I have many more questions but this is just a start.

bheron
09/06/2006, 10:35 AM
you came to the right place. excitement is what you need! but it can alos be your enemy if you rush things.

there's a good chance the tap water could be the root of many of your problems down the road, so it might be best to empy and start over. for one, if you have any traces of copper iin your tap you are doomed with any inverts or corals. trust me - thats what I did back in 2004 and how I found this site!!!

drilling a tank can be tough, and impossible if the glass is tempered (check for a label or something). the best bet, again what i did, is to get a Hang on Back (HOB) overflow (with a u-tube) and go that route. not as foolproof as drilling, but if you get the right one you'll be fine. i did great in the 1.5 yrs with mine. got mine from lifereef.com

ScoobyDuu24
09/06/2006, 10:44 AM
I was planning draining it and filling it back up once I get an RO/DI unit. I was hoping to avoid getting a HOB just because of the clutter in the back of the tank that I am trying to avoid. But if drilling is a pain I may have to get the HOB.

MJAnderson
09/06/2006, 11:04 AM
If you're going to drain it, consider having someone drill it for you and add the overflow. Ask around at your LFS or local reef club.

ScoobyDuu24
09/06/2006, 11:26 AM
I will have to do that. Maybe I will make a stop by my LFS today.