PDA

View Full Version : xenia cutting issues

sharky_steve
09/06/2006, 10:31 AM
Whenever I make xenia cuttings it seems that about half of them turn dark in color and quickly deteriorate. I usually cut a whole "branch" off right where it meets the main stalk. I've tried natural settlement, rubber banding, and wedging between pieces of rock for attachment, none with greater success than the other. I've also tried varying the water flow with no apparent differences either. Is this 50% success rate normal? or is there anything else I can try? I should also mention that I do mildly suppliment with iodide (half the recommended dose).

Brock Fluharty
09/06/2006, 03:30 PM
You need to slice in between the plyps, not cut the polyps off. Break a piece of rock that they are on off.

sharkdude
09/06/2006, 03:32 PM
50% success rate is not normal.
I get 99% percent success, with the 1% coming loose and blowing elsewhere in the tank. I use the 'toothpick' method.

check your aseptic technique. ie clean your cutting instruments and minmalize handling. wear gloves if need be.

I'm guessing secondary infections and poor attachment sucess are your problems.

also, pull your carbon out of the sump.

Frankysreef
09/06/2006, 05:50 PM
pic them off with your fingernail... It works better.

AZreefkeeper
09/07/2006, 04:09 PM
Sharkdude is right, you've got secondary infection going on, dip or swap your scissors or blade in Iodine before you cut. I cut about 1/2" above the base of the stalk or inbetween stalks. I hardly ever loose any to infection, they just blow off like sharkdues.

sharky_steve
09/07/2006, 06:33 PM
I'll try that. The infection theory sounds about right. I picked up some seachem reef dip coral disenfectant (iodide). We'll see how that works.

majestic sea life
09/07/2006, 06:45 PM
sounds like secondary infection to me.

AZreefkeeper
09/08/2006, 07:26 AM
sharky_steve
get Iodine from Walgreens, its in a small bottle by the bandages. I just take a Q-tip and swap all my tools before and after use. Don't use the stuff for the aquarium trade, its diluted.

Frankysreef
09/08/2006, 11:48 AM
Dont cut... pick em off with your fingernail...The rock underneath is easier to take off than the xenia itself... Once you get it started just peel them off the rock.