PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: A few Q's

Wolfish
09/06/2006, 12:40 PM
I am close to having a FO tank installed into a wall in my main living space. It will either be a 210 or 265 gal (6 or 7 ' in length). I must say I am having some apprehensive thoughts about this whole project. Not so much the money, more the fact that a wall will have to be modified in a way that it will reduce my living space. Also,this is quite a commitment (time-wise), and I want to be sure that it is something I really want to undertake. I cannot really call myself an enthusist, in fact it is new to me and I really want to do this to enhance the look of the house, plus I think saltwater fish are really cool. Would you long-timers go headstrong into such a project, or would you recommend trying a free-standing unit first (the wall unit would have to be permanent), and I do have a good corner space for a curved -front tank ? My plan is to have a auto water change set up & plenty of filtration for lowest maintanence possible. Fish would include: eels, lionfish, puffer, trigger, tangs, cinn.clown. Anyone who has undertaken such a large project have any regrets ? I appreciate any input you may have.

cmsurfr22
09/06/2006, 12:44 PM
my first saltwater tank was a 210 and i have no regrets...except not doing enough research.

LauraCline
09/06/2006, 02:57 PM
Hey Wolfish, first off WELCOME. I started out like you mostly wanting something to look at that was neat/unique...the enthusiast part came later once I started doing research. I think it grows on you,lol. I'm not a longtimer at all, in fact I'm just setting up my 1st 150. I'd like to go bigger and would love to do an in-wall project but, only you can ultimately decide if it's for you. This is a committment of alot of time and alot more money than you'd ever think possible. Doing it right the first time and going big to begin with is definately the way to go but realize, there will be unforseen setbacks and if you're not really dedicated as a long term thing, I wouldn't recommend going full in. There are alot of newbies that get out of the hobby relatively quickly because they just didn't realize the extent of what all can be involved. I think chances are once you get into you'll become just as addicted as the rest of us but, it would be a shame to spend thousands and modify your living space in a way that might not enhance the resale value only to find it's really not for you. If your unsure still, why not purchase a used turn-key setup at a reasonable price and see how you do with it. If you catch the bug like the rest of us then go ahead with your project, if not you can always sell the used system for close to what you paid for it.

SW1TCH
09/06/2006, 07:32 PM
If you are not shure after doing some research start out with like a 75 and see how much you like it. And if you find yourself getting addicted to this like the rest of us than go with the big set up. One tank is Never enough. I am working on my 3rd tank.