PDA

View Full Version : WHAT KIND OF ANENOME IS THIS?!? Found in wild!

jared2
09/06/2006, 02:09 PM
Can anyone identify this? I found it on the rocks in Miami, FL. I was affraid to touch it since bright colors often signify DANGER!

It's hold on the rocks was tremendous, and it's entire foot was a tough leather-like material.

Has anyone seen one of these?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/112513001_Anenomie_001.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/112513002_Anenomie_003.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/112513003_Anenomie_004.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/112513005_Anenomie_005.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/112513001_Anenomie_006.jpg

Very interested to hear if anyone knows what it is.

kybreos
09/06/2006, 02:29 PM
its probably a rock flower anemone. Just my guess.

melev
09/06/2006, 02:51 PM
Yes, it looks like a rock or flower anemone. They are usually safe to keep, as long as your fish don't swim right into it. Their maximum diameter tends to grow to about 5" wide.

MAthU
09/06/2006, 03:43 PM
SWEET!!!i want to live by the ocean :(

jared2
09/08/2006, 09:50 PM
Any other ideas?

melev
09/08/2006, 10:11 PM
Why? What's wrong with the ID you got?

http://melevsreef.com/id/pinklips_rockanemone.jpg

http://melevsreef.com/id/rockanemone.jpg

jwheeler
09/09/2006, 12:59 AM
"Why? What's wrong with the ID you got?" -Melev

I had to laugh out loud at that reply

SuperNerd
09/09/2006, 03:58 AM
Seeing as though it comes from the atlantic...together with the fact that it resembles a rock anemone (which also comes from the atlantic)...I'd also like to cast my vote for a rock anemone.

Is it moving around in the tank?

What else you got in that bucket of yours? :)

WinkeyWoneye
09/09/2006, 04:49 AM
Definetly a rock/flower anemone. There was one at the LFS when I picked up my green one, that had identical colors/markings to that just bigger in size. I almost scooped it up as I thought the brown/white was cool looking. Decided the green one looked healthier though so...
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/8971/hpim1849fm2.jpg
;) This was shortly after being added to the tank, it now stretches up taller than the zoa's.
Melev what in gods name do you feed yours lol the one of its lips looks freaky...looks like its smiling for the pic lol

jared2
09/09/2006, 06:51 AM
I guess you guys are right.. The only difference I see is in the foot. Your all seem to have the typica foot of just about every other anenome I've seen, but this one had a very thick, tough and leathery foot. Must have just been another species.

I did not take that home as I was affraid it would do harm to me or my tank. I will know better for next time.

That actually brings me to an interesting question: Is it illegal to take things that "wash up on the beach" home with you?

WinkeyWoneye
09/09/2006, 06:56 AM
If it is washed up on shore I believe you may take them, as it will just die anyways. It also will depend on local laws, so double check with your local authorities to be on the safe side.

Bret61081
09/09/2006, 07:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8108847#post8108847 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jared2
I guess you guys are right.. The only difference I see is in the foot. Your all seem to have the typica foot of just about every other anenome I've seen, but this one had a very thick, tough and leathery foot. Must have just been another species.

I did not take that home as I was affraid it would do harm to me or my tank. I will know better for next time.

That actually brings me to an interesting question: Is it illegal to take things that "wash up on the beach" home with you?

No as long as its not protected adn you have a fishing liscense(max 20 items a day)! Check out hte FMAS forum in the groups...there are several threads about collecting in there...

RicksReefs
09/09/2006, 07:41 AM
it's not a rock/flower anemone. these anemones are generally found between the high and low tide line. getting exposed at low tide frequently. these guys are also about 5 times more potent than a rock anem. I can't find the name at the moment, I'll see if I can dig it up when I get home.

jared2
09/09/2006, 07:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8108991#post8108991 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RicksReefs
it's not a rock/flower anemone. these anemones are generally found between the high and low tide line. getting exposed at low tide frequently. these guys are also about 5 times more potent than a rock anem. I can't find the name at the moment, I'll see if I can dig it up when I get home.

Rick,

Well, that is exactly where I found it (in the rocks at low tide). What do you mean by "5x more potent"?

LobsterOfJustice
09/09/2006, 08:06 AM
http://sealifeflorida.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=127

looks a lot like that to me

jessp
09/09/2006, 09:05 AM
the ones exposed to air at high low tide are much smaller and grow inf what seem like colonies, from what i have scene at the beach when i climb on rocks and look for these types of things.

i'd say that this is definately a rock anemone and the base you are showing is when the anemone is all closed up tighter then someones behind bending down for a bar of soap. All the pics you have been shown are of happy rocks that seem a little less uptight.

Cool find and a great freebie, cool colors.

WinkeyWoneye
09/09/2006, 11:43 AM
Is that a small sally lightfoot in the corner of the plastic dish?

jessp
09/09/2006, 12:09 PM
i'd say yes since they are so common here, what i used to catch that was real cool was saragassum fish. I'd scoop up the big piles of saragassum and get different shrimp, fish and inverts.

jessp
09/09/2006, 12:10 PM
how do those snails do in a tank, i always find them out of the water. I grabbed a few and put them in a big puddle a depression in a rock and they keep crawling out of the water.

let me know how they do in the tank
thanks,
jess

scubasteve247
09/09/2006, 12:43 PM
i can give you the exact name, it is a type of rock anemone, that particular species is called a red wart anemone, heres one i had a few years ago,

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/86102anemone22.jpg

they will eat anything they can get there hands on and tend to be nocturnal for the most part. a beautiful rock anemone, theres a reef here in pompano beach where they tend to be pretty common, nice catch! happy reefing

~kyle

scubasteve247
09/09/2006, 12:45 PM
o by the way, those snails are good algea eaters but they suck, they lay small white eggs everywhere, i have 3 and theyve layed close to 500 eggs, there about the sice of a pea. and none ever hatch, more annoying then anything,

SuperNerd
09/09/2006, 01:21 PM
Anyone else know the names of the other little animals in jared2's
bucket? They look interesting. :)

SuperNerd
09/09/2006, 01:27 PM
WinkeyWoneye: I have that same rock anemone. What type of lighting is it under, kelvin rating and does it sting your other corals?

jared2
09/09/2006, 02:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8110462#post8110462 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scubasteve247
i can give you the exact name, it is a type of rock anemone, that particular species is called a red wart anemone, heres one i had a few years ago,

they will eat anything they can get there hands on and tend to be nocturnal for the most part. a beautiful rock anemone, theres a reef here in pompano beach where they tend to be pretty common, nice catch! happy reefing

~kyle

Thank you very much. I did not bring that one home, but I may in the future. It looks great in that tank.

As for the rest of my sea creatures, they are basically just different kinds of hermit crabs and rock snails; but there are a few of the lightfoot crabs as well.

As for the Snails, they tend to jump ship (I find them behind the tank and in the lighting - usually dried out). Not worth keeping them...I have since stopped bringing them home. I have not had the problem with eggs though.

Thank you for all the great work guys...

BTW, I am just starting to get some nice soft corals and anemones in my tank, what do you guys use for additives (calcium, etc.)?

SuperNerd
09/09/2006, 02:53 PM
I like salifert for Ca, kent for buffer iron, magnesium, and strontium.

Some people also use Randy's recipe.

RicksReefs
09/09/2006, 03:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109077#post8109077 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jared2
Rick,

Well, that is exactly where I found it (in the rocks at low tide). What do you mean by "5x more potent"?

it's sting/stickyness is much more potent than your standard rock anemone. when I had a couple, even decent sized hermits couldn't get unstuck from them.

the beadlets are much more numerous on the column,basically covering the entire bese (as seen in the half closed pic above)than a standard crucifer rock anemone.

it's true that it's an anemone and it's found among rocks, but it's not the same anemone as the ones we know as rock/flower anemones.

the snails are Nerite sp. . great algae eaters and you'd be suprised how long they'll live outside the tank. if you have any and find a fuzzy, dusty one behind the tank, throw it back in. I've had some outside the tank for at least 3 weeks and they opened right up when resubmerged.

jared2
09/09/2006, 03:32 PM
Rick,

Very interesting regarding the anenome. I have also had the same thing happen with the snails. I have found many dusty ones that came back to life, only to be prayed upon by the starfish ;-)

But my biggest question about the anenome is: is it safe for me or the tank?

RicksReefs
09/09/2006, 03:56 PM
my experience with it is that anything that touches it gets a pretty good zap. i lost a cleaner shrimp and a rainsford goby by being eaten (within a couple of days) and i lost a small yellow tang that got zapped, went into convulsions and darted around, then the next day he was toast too. the anemone can leave red welts on sensitive skin, but working hands are tough enough not to be bothered.

jared2
09/09/2006, 04:02 PM
Hmm...I think I'll just end up buying my anemones online.

I usually use www.saltwaterfish.com

What are your favorite sites for exotic corals and anemones?

Amphiprion
09/09/2006, 04:10 PM
It is probably Bunodosoma granulifera.

jared2
09/09/2006, 09:10 PM
There are very few pictures of that species online that I can find, but a tremendous number of scientific documents on it's toxicology.

jared2
09/10/2006, 08:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8111440#post8111440 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Amphiprion
It is probably Bunodosoma granulifera.

How did you find this? See above.

melev
09/10/2006, 01:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8108645#post8108645 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WinkeyWoneye
Melev what in gods name do you feed yours lol the one of its lips looks freaky...looks like its smiling for the pic lol

All my anemones get fed via the slurry I pour in at night, and even my BTAs grow enormous 'lips' at that time to feed.

The green rock anemone with pink lips died last year unfortunately. Nothing would stick to it, and often it would push out a white bubble or sack from its mouth at feeding time, which to me seemed to be like a cork to prevent it from getting a meal. I'd had it for a few years, but it just shrunk and shrunk until one day it vanished. It was a very pretty anemone, and never caused any harm nor did it ever move from its perfect spot in front of the tank.