PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhiker... What is it

jlfnjlf
09/06/2006, 02:55 PM
So this little guy was stuck to the bottom of a mushroom rock I recently got. It has been in my tank for about 2 weeks and has grown some tentacles in that time. I have been feeding a 1/2 inch cube of raw shrimp every 3-4 days. It has taken up residence here where it is in the photo. id did move quite a bit in the first few days. When I first saw it it looked more like a flat slug stuck to the rock. At first it would open just a little bit for a few hours then shrivel. Now it is about the same through the day. I am sure it is an anemone, but beyond that I running on instinct.

http://jlfnjlf.smugmug.com/photos/93462576-L.jpg

Can someone tell me what type of anemone it is and what I can do to get it healthy?

Thank you in advance for all the help,

John

n2prelude03
09/06/2006, 02:57 PM
that looks like a bubble tip anemone, i suggest move it closre to light and feed it takes food.

jlfnjlf
09/06/2006, 03:03 PM
it is abut 6 inches form the surface and seriously stuck in this position. I am running 192W on this 130g tank. the location it is in is where a pineapple coral was removed at one point prior to me getting the rock, so it is sharp and porous.

Would daily feeding be to much? should I reduce the size of the food?

Thanks,

John

petoonia
09/06/2006, 03:06 PM
Cool Hitchiker!!!

TOURKID
09/06/2006, 04:46 PM
soak the food you give it in selcon if you have some. Looks like a bubble tip nem to me too. Silverslides would be the best choice. Youd need to cut the silverslide into thirds and defrost before feeding :)

jlfnjlf
09/06/2006, 07:16 PM
selcon? Will the local shops have it or is it a mail order type of thing?

OrionN
09/06/2006, 07:20 PM
It looks like a BTA. Just feed it every few days and he should recover.

jlfnjlf
09/06/2006, 11:00 PM
Could it be from a split or a youngster? Or did it get this way by neglect?

OrionN
09/07/2006, 04:38 AM
Sometime BTA can wander around and hide in crevices. Likely this BTA was in the tank for sale. It went to the bottom of the rock/coral and the LFS forgot that it was in the tank. They sold the rock/coral to you did not know that the BTA was there. This is just as well because without care and put it back in the light, it will die. I am clueless as to why BTA sometime craw to darkness and die unless intervened by reefer.

TOURKID
09/07/2006, 05:58 AM
jlfnjlf id say it looks that way from lack of food and light

selcon is a vitamin. some lfs's carry it. its pink with a lil clown fish on the front.
My nem was bleaching once and i treated it with selcon and additional feedings. And it got healthy fast :)

also check out
ww.karensroseanemones.com for tons of tips

petoonia
09/07/2006, 01:05 PM
How often did you feed the anemone, and did you soak each feeding in selcon? Do you think this would work with a Sebae anemone?

dbrody01
09/07/2006, 04:38 PM
That BTA looks about as bad as those sold at my LFS in muddy brown water and almost no flow. They only charge 15.99 though. Good luck trying to get it healthier.

jlfnjlf
09/07/2006, 04:53 PM
It is looking much better than it did...