PDA

View Full Version : how do i remove dried algea from acrylic>?

MAthU
09/06/2006, 03:45 PM
does any one know? i used a power washer and it got some off, and i tryed scrubbing it off, but that scratched it!

help..
thanks

melev
09/06/2006, 04:00 PM
I would suggest you lay the tank on its front on a soft surface (blanket or terry cloth towel), and pour a mixture of vinegar and water to create a 1/2" layer of liquid on the panel. Let it soak for a long period of time (a few hours) and then scrape it with an old credit card or piece of acrylic.

Next, rotate it onto its end, and let it soak again. Basically you can do that on all four sides.

Whatever scratches you created can be buffed out. There is a kit at Home Depot for $13 that has buffing wheels, the arbor, and tripoli (red jeweler's rouge) paste. A drill holds the buffing wheel in place. Buff it gently, without a lot of pressure, after the tank is totally dry.

AZDesertRat
09/06/2006, 06:23 PM
If it coraline algae do as melev suggested. If its green algae a spray bottle of bleach works well as long as you rinse well afterwards.

MAthU
09/06/2006, 06:34 PM
its the green-coral line and the coralline,,

AZDesertRat
09/06/2006, 06:46 PM
A gallon jug of straight white vinegar works wonders as does unscented Clorox bleach. Just use them one at a time though and don't mix them or you may have dangerous fumes on your hands.