PDA

View Full Version : Complacency, clam spawn, and lesson learned.

JPMagyar
09/06/2006, 06:48 PM
So today I did a water change and made sure the temperatures matched, but didn't bother checking the salinity since I have done so many similar changes before "how could it be that different"?

After the change I went upstairs to find the main tank all cloudy, and within seconds I noticed my Blue Maxima pumping out gobs of gametes. After the 3rd or 4th massive spewing of spawn I decided to pull him out and set him up in a separate tank until he was finished. Then I ran upstairs to the computer to figure out what others have seen. A short while later I suspect my water change as the culprit and check my salinity. It was 1.028; assuming my salinity prior was 1.025 to 1.024 I must have added water about 1.032 to 1.031 which makes sense because I usually add 10 gallons of water to my water change water to make the salinity just right, and I ended up adding 12 gallons of RO water to the system inorder to bring the salinity to 1.025. My water change is 300 gallons or about 50% every 2 months - I know, I know not the norm, but I have been doing it that way for quite some time and as long as the parameters match it works out just fine.

For me the moral is - my complacency in not diligently checking the water change parameters almost cost me a significant price.

"Measure twice and cut once."

AND

"Don't take shortcuts"

atleast not in this hobby!

Viszlat,

Joe

P.S. Check out my website (http://www.bluefrags.com) for a look at my system.

P.P.S. Everything is fine with no losses. Just a close call this time. . .

JPMagyar
09/10/2006, 01:59 PM
I realized I never said what I did to resolve my problem so I just thought I would add one more reply for the record before letting the thread fade away into the great big world of RC data . . .

1) Added l liter of fresh carbon.
2) Turned my skimmer up so it skimmed a "wet" skimmate.
3) Pulled the clam out of the tank for about an hour.
4) Corrected the salinity prior to returning the clam.

and that was about it.

Tank is doing fine now!

http://www.bluefrags.com/images/gallery/pictures/anemone906.jpg

Viszlat,

Joe

melev
09/10/2006, 02:12 PM
Joe, good job fixing the problem.

Be sure to check pH, salinity and temp in the future. That is all I do and that even saved me from the Kent debacle back in Dec - Feb ('bout 6 months ago). If I'd not checked pH, I never would have buffered the water and my alk would have plummetted. I was really surprised to find out more people don't test the same way I do.

I looked at your site. Lots of pretty blue stuff in there. :)

Cosmo^Kramer
09/10/2006, 04:08 PM
Joe,I had a hawaii feather duster do that to my tank once.I lost a yellow tang because of it.I did a water change and about 30 miniutes later my wife said your feather duster is smoking.On a different subject,I really like your tank stand.Did you build that yourself? Great idea with the book shelf

JPMagyar
09/10/2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks Cosmo!

I wish I could say I built the stand, but the truth is I designed it and then farmed out the construction to a local handyman in New Milford, CT. I don't mind carpentry, but I hate the painting, and my wife wanted something that was "furniture" quality. Next tank will be an "in wall" design though. I'm targeting summer of '08 for an 800 gallon system in an attempt to mimic Steve Weast.

We'll see, heh?

Joe

smp
09/10/2006, 05:55 PM
That's an awesome Ritteri!
Always nice to see one doing well in captivity.