PDA

View Full Version : Star Polyps Closed Up Tight?!?

GreyG35
09/06/2006, 07:28 PM
My normally very healthy green star polyps have completely closed up in the last day or so -- none of the polyps are extending. This is now a fairly large colony (roughly 7-8 inches in diameter, with several offshoots), growing over several rocks, which has been growing like crazy.

All of the other corals and livestock in the tank look great (Xenia, zoos, palys, shrooms, torch, branching frogspawn, maze brain)

Any ideas what could cause this, but not affect anything else?

Just ran a few tests:
Nitrates: between 5-10 ppm (about normal)
Nitrites: 0
Ammonia: 0
Calcium: 380 (a little low)
Alk: 3.2 meq/l (about normal)
Temp: 82 (normally runs around 80 -- could this be a problem?)
PH: 8.2 (normal)
SG: 1.025 (normal)

This is a 90 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump. Auto FW topoff and 1.5 gallon per day SW changes (automated). I did just switch to Seachem salt because I'm told the Alk is much better than the Oceanic I was using -- but there can only be about 4.5 gallons in there at the most.

Thanks!

HartfordWhalers
09/06/2006, 07:37 PM
Mine closed for about a week and reopened, i think they should open back up but thats just my opinion,

dermer
09/06/2006, 07:55 PM
mine do this every night when the lights go out and re open after the lights have been on about an hour

miztic
09/06/2006, 08:04 PM
Mine were closed up for a week or so, they opened back up about a day after I put some phosphate absorbing media in my sump, a few days later they were back to normal..

GreyG35
09/06/2006, 08:09 PM
I didn't check for phosphates -- I should go do that. It's never been a problem, but I haven't checked it in a while.

Thanks!

GreyG35
09/06/2006, 09:14 PM
Phosphates are at zero. Must be something else...

miztic
09/06/2006, 09:22 PM
Mine always read 0 too, either its my testkit, but I'm guessing the algea etc. takes it up before I can measure it ..

abugs1985
09/06/2006, 09:39 PM
check to see if a pump slipped and the water flow over the colony is much stronger, that could be one possibility. A lot of corals are sensative to heavy changes in water flow. Do you have any fish that are nipping at your corals? Double back and try and remember if possibly you overdosed any supliments or anything else you might be adding to your water.