PDA

View Full Version : Sand sifting stars...good or bad?

whirley
09/06/2006, 09:53 PM
Hello.

I'm getting conflicting information about the sand sifting star.

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/sandsifting.jpg

Are stars a good thing or not for DSB? From what I read, not only do they eat detrius but snails as well. I"m concerned since I have several narssius snails and don't want them to be eating up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ooulophilia
09/06/2006, 10:09 PM
I my experience in a DSB it is not the snails you are concerned about losing- the stars will strip the sand clean of all of your denitrifing microfauna (bacteria, worms, pods, ect...), so unless it is a HUGE tank, it nullifies having a DSB (same goes for sifter gobies). That said, they usually seem to starve and waste away anyways, even with feeding of meaty foods. For keeping a DSB turned over, I recommend a combo of conch (tongan fighting) and nassarius, and for bigger tanks, sand sifting cuces. They tend to take out the detritus, but leave all the desirable stuff behind.

drummereef
09/06/2006, 10:29 PM
There are small stars like brittle stars that are very beneficial to the DSB. The larger sand-sifting ones, i agree, can and will most likely strip it clean. I've had very good luck with Nassarius, Astreas, and a fighting conch as well. Cucumbers are great, but do your research before you buy.

MrSpiffy
09/06/2006, 10:35 PM
Good thing I caught this post! I'm thinking I'll have to end up returning my SSS. If most people can't keep them alive in larger tanks, my 20G sure won't keep mine alive. Plus if they strip the sand of beneficial organisms, it's likely an even worse thing to have in a smaller tank. As much as I like the little guy... it's likely back to the store for him. Thanks for the post! :)

Ooulophilia
09/06/2006, 10:53 PM
No prob - I would encourage other reefers if they see sand sifting stars, or sand sifting gobies (the obligate ones) at their LFS to ask them not to carry them. The whole mentality behind it is like buying a disposable maid for your house, "Hey, we don't feed her but she is cheap and does a great job (until she dies). The best thing is she is cheap and there are plenty more to take her place for the same low price". Sand sifters as a parralel to migrant workers of the world - farfetched, but...?

ERICinFL
09/06/2006, 11:39 PM
I have that same starfish in my tank. It seems to do a good job of keeping the sand stirred. It doesn't go very deep though. My SB is about 3-4 inches deep and I've only seen it go deep enough so it's covered.

SCR
09/07/2006, 03:39 AM
I added one, saw it a few times, haven't seen it ever again. (3 months)

Rays
09/07/2006, 05:04 AM
What would be the best cuke?

jessp
09/07/2006, 06:25 AM
i have sss and no problems, one small one in small tank. he doesn't go deep at all just enough to bury himself. I do not have any problem with the sandbeds filtering effectiveness

MrSpiffy
09/07/2006, 09:38 AM
I'd also like to know about cukes. :)

AZDesertRat
09/07/2006, 11:01 AM
I had a SSS decimate my 100G established DSB in a matter of two months. There was not one worm or pod left no matter where I dug or looked. I returned the star and started stocking again with donated cups of live sand and bottles of Ocean Pods and it took 6 months to get back to where it once was.
I would recommend nassarius and cerith snails and a fighting conch if the tank is big enough to support it.

BRETT FULFORD
09/07/2006, 11:44 AM
i have a sss and 2 fighting conchs in my 120g and they have been great in mine for over a year, i still have too many worms (you can never have too many pods!) . i have never seen him go too far under the sand, you can always tell where he is

The Beaut
09/07/2006, 12:03 PM
Ive had one about 3 years. I love it. Keeps my sand bed nice. I also have an egg shel snail that is under the sand all the time. Believe me my sand bed is still full of life.