PDA

View Full Version : Big Change - Drill & change sand

BeaverHunt
09/07/2006, 08:48 AM
hello all...great site here...came across it and it seems the perfect place with the most knowledgable peeps...so i figured i would ask your opinion...

first off i have a 72bow...i found a place to drill my tank for me (2 holes for only 25 bucks) and i have a couple questions...one how far down should i have them drill the holes? (on the back) what size holes? i was thinking inch and a half...my return pump i think will be an eheim 1262...is this ok?

also i plan on changing out the whole sandbed and kind of starting over because i know much more now then when i first started and would like to start off right...80 lbs of reefer rock is on the way and 100 pounds of black sand is on the way...should be here 2marrow...i already have my 5 fish though...2 chromis (1.5"), 2 perc clowns (1.5"), a lawnmower blenny (3"), and a yellow tang (4")...soo my plan is to buy my tank that i will make the sump out of and put the fish in there for a little while, just until my tank is drilled and cleaned...probably take a couple days...i am going to put a 29 gallon tank as a sump...
then, after the tank is drilled, ill put the new sand and rock in and take a couple nylons full of the old sand and lay it in the back of the tank to prevent another cycle..is my thinking corrrect? i already asked a couple of the LFS's around here if they could "babysit" my fish for me which they promptly said "NO"...so i will have to end up putting all the fish in the main tank with only a protein skimmer running on it for a couple days while i build the sump...probably take me a few days...are they all going to die? i dont really have anything else i can do, at least not that i can think of...my skimmer is a css125...also i have an canister filter that ive been running for the last year or so...i will probably run that while i am building the sump as well...willl all this new sand and rock (none live) create a big cycle?

are there any other sugestions?

thank you all for the great responses in advance...

-Buck-

WinkeyWoneye
09/07/2006, 09:21 AM
I would say your best bet is to buy a 10gal at your local walmart for around $10.00, make this DIY filter ... http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/simplebiofilter.html
and use your old sand like you said being netted up or just put it on bottom of the tank as normal. Depending on how long they will be in there make sure to do a partial water change every couple days. This way your fish are safely out of your workspace, and you arent pressed for time on getting things done. Tanks can still cycle reguardless of the old sand/filter. If you increase your bio-load you will cycle maybe not a huge cycle but a cycle non the less. I would let the main tank run for atleast a week with your new setup to make sure that it doesnt cycle and to be sure all your new stuff works properly. The new dead sand will not create a cycle but it will not help fight off a cycle either so chances are you may have a cycle similiar to that of a newly setup tank.Good luck with the mods.
P.S. The 10 gal and simple filter can be put away once done and that way you have a Quarantine tank with simple filter if you ever need one.

WinkeyWoneye
09/07/2006, 09:26 AM
This is that filter full of bio-balls and in a tank. scroll to bottom and look at right-hand bottom most tank. http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/tanks.html

Weezel111
09/07/2006, 09:29 AM
yeah i agree.i was reading your post and was kinda chuckling to myself.your whole setup and changes is basically to the "T" exactly what i am doing...im even going with black sand as well.be sure to post a pic when its done...the nylon is a good idea.i helped a friend do that a while back and you may have a little spike but since you dont have any corals (at least you didnt mention any) a little spike here or there shouldnt be a big problem...but for 10 dollars, it makes sense to just go with a little small tank...

if theres one thing ive learned, its "when you rush, you [profanity]
especially in this hobby.

as i said i have basically the same setup, and am still debating on pretty much the same issues.

can anyone tell me:

1) what size holes to drill?
2) how far down? (was thinking like 6 inches)
3) ehein 1262 or other for return pump?

-brandon-

Please do not trick the profanity sensor! ~dc

WinkeyWoneye
09/07/2006, 10:10 AM
I'm not much help when it comes to bulkheads and overflows, as I have a traditional 39 tank with a fluval filter, and a hang on back of tank refugium that WAAY helps too. The fuge is like a second filter running, my water will go from cloudy to clear in about 5 minutes after stirring things up or what not. Sorry I cant help in that field ;)

Weezel111
09/07/2006, 10:39 AM
any one else?

dont mean to hijack but these are basically the same questions as you had BeaverHunt...

dc
09/07/2006, 12:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8096459#post8096459 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Weezel111
any one else?

dont mean to hijack but these are basically the same questions as you had BeaverHunt...

Practically exactly the same. :lol:

Weezel111
09/07/2006, 12:53 PM
sorry bout that dc...no more tricking or outsmarting the sensor...

Weezel111
09/07/2006, 12:55 PM
c'mon anyone have any sugestions on this?

1) what size holes to drill?
2) how far down? (was thinking like 6 inches)
3) ehein 1262 or other for return pump? is this too powerful?

sjm817
09/07/2006, 02:17 PM
1) 1.75" hole for a standard bulkhead for 1" PVC
2) 6" is kind of far down. You will have a skimmer box attached it this?
3) 1262 is too big. 1250 or 1260 max.