PDA

View Full Version : odyssea lighting !!!

nathenvan
09/07/2006, 08:57 AM
how effective is the odyssea light (model 2006) on coral. anyone in here have one? thankx

Weezel111
09/07/2006, 09:06 AM
dont know how effective they are, but ive read many threads and reports of them burning up...i think one guy even had his house start on fire due to them..i was looking into them a while back cuz they seem like a good idea due to them being half the price of everything...but you get what you pay for..

usually if its too good to be true, it probably is!!

nathenvan
09/07/2006, 09:30 AM
fire? so i guess they are not UL approved? yeah you get what you pay for i guess, thank you !!!!

WinkeyWoneye
09/07/2006, 09:47 AM
I currently have a Jebo Odyssea 36" 305W fixture. 1x175w HQI MH, 2x65w CF(actinics), and 4xblue led moonlights(are very weak), 2007 Ballast. They changed the plagued capacitor that kept burning up to a higer quality..I pulled my ballast apart and checked, it is in fact a diffrent capacitor than previous models. I have seen pics of these lights that had problems in the past. I have had my light a lil over 3 months now and I'm happy as hell with it. My only complaint is the nightlighting is very weak. Keep your old school Coralife 1 watters around :smokin:
BTW I havent heard of anyone house actually catching fire, a capacitor will not "FLAME" when it goes bad it will just spew out a cardboard material that will smolder, smoke like crazy, and stink like crapola. As long as it all stays contained inside the metal ballast box, things worked as they should have. Capacitors will go bad in any light Coralife, Jebo, you name em they can go bad..... it happens. It may seem alot scarier than it really was when you see all that smoke.

heuerfan
09/07/2006, 09:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8096091#post8096091 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WinkeyWoneye
I currently have a Jebo Odyssea 36" fixture. 2007 Ballast. They changed the plagued capacitor that kept burning up to a higer quality..I pulled my ballast apart and checked it is in fact a diffrent capacitor than previous models. I have seen pics of these lights that had problems in the past. I have had my light a lil over 3 months now and I'm happy as hell with it. My only complaint is the nightlighting is very weak. Keep your old school Coralife 1 watters around :smokin:
BTW I havent heard of anyone house actually catching fire, a capacitor will not "FLAME" when it goes bad it will just spew out a cardboard material that will smolder, smoke like crazy, and stink like crapola. As long as it all stays contained inside the metal ballast box, things worked as they should have. Capacitors will go bad in any light Coralife, Jebo, you name em they can go bad..... it happens. It may seem alot scarier than it really was when you see all that smoke.

Thanks for your post, been trying to find out if they fixed the problem in the 2007 versions. Did you buy direct from aquatraders or through ebay if you don't mind me asking? Did you change out the bulbs?

Thanks!

WinkeyWoneye
09/07/2006, 09:56 AM
Bought it thru ebay from a seller named Hombby. He has many of these lights up for sale and is a great seller. I'm unsure if the bulbs have been changed from previous models. I have only seen pics of older ballasts, burnt out and pre-burnt out ...just make sure yours says 2007 ballast and your gtg

flameangel88
09/07/2006, 09:57 AM
WinkeyWoneye: you can get their clip on LED moonlight to supplement for night lighting and it works very well for my 24g Aquapod.

WinkeyWoneye
09/07/2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks, I had 2 clip on/suction mount Coralife 1 watt blue led moonlights from my old PC light still around so I just rigged them up for night lighting. Those puppies are bright as can be.

heuerfan
09/07/2006, 10:16 AM
Winkey, how many plugs are there to this fixture?

1 plug for HQI, 2 plug for PC, 1 plug for moonlights?

Wanted to know if its possible for the power compacts to turn on individually.

Also, do you have to use the legs with this fixture, or can it rest on top of the tank?

Thanks!

WinkeyWoneye
09/07/2006, 12:15 PM
Coming out of the light fixture itself ther are 4 plugs. They all get plugged into the ballast box plugs are coded as follows on box and wire itself... HQI Lamp, CF Lamp, Moon LED, Fan.
On the ballast side there is 3 plugs coming out labeled as follows... HQI Lamp, CF Lamp, Moon LED.
There is also 3 switches on the ballast that you can turn the Moon LED, HQI, CF off/on with. Fans come on auto with HQI. I dont use the switches anyways. What I have is the HQI and moons on a day/night timer, and the CF's on there own independant timer set to go on half hour before HQI's come on, and turn off half hour after HQI's turn off. So yes they can be seperatly turned on and off easiest done with timers though.
It does come with legs, and the hardware to hang from the ceiling. I used the legs the first week it was on. Being I only have a 39 gal, which is same dimensions as a 30 gal just taller, I had to bend the legs to make them fit (Metal). After a week when I had more time I installed the ceiling mounts..make sure to attach to rafters, dont use sheetrock anchors. Fixture is pretty heavy and I wouldnt trust any type of sheetrock anchor to hold it up. I have access to my attic so I went up there and made my own header for it. Was easy with access to above, if you dont have access well hope your tank is positioned well between 2 useable studs. Where the cables attach to the fixture it slides back and forth so it is somewhat adjustable once hanging. :smokin: I love the light being suspended from ceiling, as there is no legs or nothing to smack into when your working on the tank.

WinkeyWoneye
09/07/2006, 12:36 PM
The legs jutting out from middle of the fixture are for my PC refugium light...also made by Jebo-Odyssea.
http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/8633/hpim1862pr8.jpg

kiran523
09/07/2006, 01:37 PM
Hi Winkey,

I just ordered the Odyssea 36" from Aquatraders 3 days ago. Have you had any trouble keeping the tank temp down. If so, what are you using. I'm going to be using it for my 29g tank (30x12x18)

Thanks

nathenvan
09/07/2006, 04:34 PM
yeah same here. i am thinking about ordering one 36" 2x96watts. i have heard that the fixture gets kinda hot.

WinkeyWoneye
09/07/2006, 08:09 PM
Well the HQI definetly throws off some heat, any MH will. I have my tank in a air conditioned room, I live in a second floor apartment so heat is a issue even without the light for me. I keep my a/c at 72, 24/7 during summer months. I have my tank heater set at 76, at night and for most of the morning tank temps stay around 77.7. During mid day when lights are on tank goes no higher than 79.3, with the glass top. Without the glass top the tank goes no higer than 80 during mid day. The top definetly helps keep some heat out, just need to clean it often so it doesnt filter any light out. I tend to keep the glass on now as I had a Flasher Wrasse jump on me last month. Now I got a beautiful 4-line wrasse to replace it and dont want it to jump also, lol.

REV
09/07/2006, 09:27 PM
One of my ballasts started going bad at about 6 months. It was CHEAP though. It was a 4 x 65 pc fixture... You can't hardly replace the bulbs for less than buying a new fixture! I call it "disposable lighting!" It's a good entry level for price and a great built in upgrade for the future! "But, honey... I might as well get this good one now..."

killingseed
09/07/2006, 09:41 PM
well i have one about 3 months old now "4x65". and i ended up redoing the wiring inside and replace the 40MM fans for some 80MM fans. now it works good

erc111
09/07/2006, 09:57 PM
A capacitor can explode.
I was in the radar room on a frigate in the USN as a radar tech when one of the 10F, 5000 volts capacitors ( there were 6 of these, about 6 in dia. x 2.5 ft. high) for the 350KW air search radar blew up.
It blew the case off the 3x3 foot housing and started a fire I put out with a purple K extinguisher.
Scared the S@@@ out of me, ecspecially since I used to take my nooner lying right next to it.

WinkeyWoneye
09/08/2006, 04:22 AM
Yes a capacitor can explode. Thats why they are contained inside a metal box, to keep everything inside if it is to fail. I have had capacitors in the power supply of my computer explode ...loud buzzing noise,followed by a loud pop than poof pc is gone.... Capacitors are in practically ANY electronic equiptment and yes they can fail. I highly doubt the capacitors in the ballast of those lights are anywhere close to as powerful as the capacitor you are talking about. The larger the capacitor the bigger the bang. Kinda like a firecracker;) With a capacitor that large going than yes maybe there is a possiblity of some flame, but if it was contained inside a metal box it wouldnt have gone anywhere. Being it was out in the open seems quite dangerous to me, but leaves the possiblity of catching things near by on fire. Inside these ballast boxes there is nothing else that can burn besides the capacitor. It will only burn until the capacitor completely lets go. Once the capacitor has completely let go, there will be no more power to keep it burning.

WinkeyWoneye
09/08/2006, 04:32 AM
Just a little note on things being "UL approved"...... There are many loop holes in the UL listings. You may purchase something and notice the cord has a "UL approved" label on it. Well thats exactly what it is, the CORD only is UL approved. If it is not stamped directly on the appliance in question, than the appliance is not UL approved. There are many many appliances out there that say "UL approved" when the appliance really isnt only the cord is. This is completly legal, as the cord IS UL listed so they have the right to put the label on it, but to the average consumer who doesnt know any better, you see a UL tag on the cord and think the whole thing is UL listed....wrong. They are very misleading with this, and purposely I would assume. You would be surprised how many things around your house arent really UL approved but only there cords are.
For things that truely are UL approved.... the minute you modify in any way, drill a hole into it..etc it loses its UL approval.

WinkeyWoneye
09/08/2006, 04:58 AM
Kiran, your tank length and width are the same as mine. If your planning on using the legs that come with it rather than the suspension mounts, be prepared to bend the legs a bit to make them fit. Also be careful not to overtighten the screws that hold the legs on, as the piece they screw into will strip pretty easily.

WinkeyWoneye
09/08/2006, 05:07 AM
OMG Weezel...you made me realize I forgot to put snowmobiling on the list of hobbies. The fellow sledders would be mad at me if they realized that.:blown: lol Fixing it after this post. I ride a '03 Arctic Cat F7, all red with many custom-colored accessories. Do you belong to snowmobileworld.com? That is a great sledding forum. Ohh how I cannot wait for the snow to fly!

iamquockie
09/08/2006, 08:35 AM
nothing can burn but the capacitor? the wires cant catch fire? the sleeves that the wires are incased in? how about the actual casing of the light, last time I checked they were plastic--it'll melt and when it gets to a certain temperature it'll burn. I'm not fire marshall bill or anything but thats common sense.

WinkeyWoneye
09/08/2006, 05:36 PM
All the pictures I saw of a burnt out Oddysea light, the wires didnt burn. The capacitor was melted slightly on the side and there was lil pieces of a burnt waxy paper sticking out from it. The lights that had problems with capacitors are external ballast boxes. Which is a 100% metal enclosed box with a metal ballast inside it, a couple wires, and the capacitor, which is mounted away from the ballast. Even if the wire was to start burning, the casing is only going to melt off and fall onto a metal box....what will happed to the metal? nothing. There is no plastic in the box other than the capacitor itself. The 2007 ballast comes with a upgraded metal capacitor for the HQI and the same old plastic style cap for the CF's.

WinkeyWoneye
09/09/2006, 04:30 AM
Here are a couple pics of the Jebo light failure that I have recieved. In the 2007 ballast the right hand capacitor(one shown melted) is now a metal encased capacitor and the left hand one hasnt changed any. Soooo fire marshall, it isnt quite as catastrophic as one may think. It is however scary as heck, I'm sure, to walk into your house full of smoke. Capacitors will smoke like crazy when they start to fry, making it seem alot scarier than it really was. If it was sooo bad than tell me why this guy still has carpet on his floor? BTW Jebo will send you a new capacitor free of charge if you have a older style one that went bad.
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6837/aqlights1dm6.jpg
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4919/aqlights4vw8.jpg

GuidoReefer
09/09/2006, 07:05 AM
Anyone know the contact information for odyssea? I have a 2x39w T5 fixture and one day the entire fixture stopped working for no apparent reason ( i guess i should consider myself lucky with the fire incidents or what not ) but still would like to get to the bottom of the problem and see if i can get a replacement ballast which i think the problem is from...bought it from a friend so warranty is no longer an option...

cooper9177
09/09/2006, 07:06 AM
I also had a cap on a pc ballast blow

donald altman
09/21/2006, 06:31 AM
I've had 2 odyssea 36 inch fixtures over my tank with the dual 96 watt bulbs for the last 2 years. I haven't had a problem other then the fans are crappy. (loud) A broken bulb on delivery which was replaced asap.

I like the lights.. they aer cheap as hell but they hold up well and
for the price I paid for the lights I've more then got my moneys worth out of them.

I got tired of the fan noise and simple cut the power cord to them and tapped them off and they have been working fine since.. (I did this when they were about 2 weeks old)

I like them.

Weezel111
09/21/2006, 07:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8101957#post8101957 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WinkeyWoneye
OMG Weezel...you made me realize I forgot to put snowmobiling on the list of hobbies. The fellow sledders would be mad at me if they realized that.:blown: lol Fixing it after this post. I ride a '03 Arctic Cat F7, all red with many custom-colored accessories. Do you belong to snowmobileworld.com? That is a great sledding forum. Ohh how I cannot wait for the snow to fly!

winkey,

nice sled, i always say there is no bigger rush then flying across a lake doing 110mph...until you hit a bump...yikes!! i ride a polaris xc 500...red with all red accessories as well...although i also had the pistons bored out and put about 200 picks in it....top speed is 117 (digital speedometer)...probably be closer to 123 without the picks...ever been to eagle river WI...snomobiling capital of the world...snows right around the corner...keep on ridin'!!!

oh and kepp reefin too...figured i should add that...