PDA

View Full Version : What soft corals cause toxic HARM to SPS corals?

Nathan
09/07/2006, 12:04 PM
I think I remember that some soft corals release toxins into the water which stop SPS corals from growing.

What are some soft corals that I should stay away from?

I have a large colt coral. Is that bad?

-Nathan

cristhiam
09/07/2006, 12:19 PM
I think leathers but I don't have any problems with them and sps's

Travis L. Stevens
09/07/2006, 12:30 PM
There is very little research done on the allelopathy of corals. Some corals tend to be more noxious than other, but there is no study results that actually prove that the allelopathy between corals is actually very significant. Some of the more noxious corals are the "Leathers". Sarcophyton, Lobophytum, Sinularia, etc.

FWIW, allelopathy between corals is a moot point. With regularly scheduled maintenance and water changes, along with the use of activated carbon, the free floatin chemicals from corals is rather minimal. It's fun to know and read about, but it's something I wouldn't actively worry about in our tanks. Now, if you've neglected a tank for a year, you might see some abnormally slow growth, etc.

cw150
09/07/2006, 12:34 PM
I've heard that leathers are bad and their toxins also potentially stunt the growth of SPS. I've also heard that mushrooms are bad.

Joshsmit56001
09/07/2006, 12:36 PM
I guess I am screwed than because I have both in my 30 gallon

Travis L. Stevens
09/07/2006, 12:47 PM
Really, allelopathy is accounts for very little actual damage to corals. In fact, most allelopathic compounds are used to stunt growth.

Nathan
09/07/2006, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the insight Travis.

-Nathan

ReeferAl
09/07/2006, 02:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8097099#post8097099 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Travis L. Stevens
There is very little research done on the allelopathy of corals. ...

FWIW, allelopathy between corals is a moot point. With regularly scheduled maintenance and water changes, along with the use of activated carbon, the free floatin chemicals from corals is rather minimal.

You may well be right about this, but as you say in the beginning of your post, there is very little research on allelopathy of corals, and even less on its effects in a confined space (tank). Some people speculate that leathers can even affect those corals growing "downstream" from them. I don't believe anyone really know what the levels are in aquaria or what levels it takes to show adverse effects.

I would second your comments though that the best ways to minimize or eliminate the problems are water changes, activated carbon and skimming. Ozone may also play a role in deactivating the compounds.

Allen