PDA

View Full Version : how to fumigate with tank ?

ERICN
09/07/2006, 01:06 PM
Hello guys I am having a pest control professional out to my house on Saturday to fumigate my house, I have no choice in this we have just had a new baby and the wife insists. I was thinking I could take my sump protein skimmer and all equipment out of the house to the yard and I work for a warehouse so I was thinking I could take shrink film and wrap the whole top of the tank air tight I mean I could use the whole roll on it :). What are your guys thoughts the tank has been stable for well over 2 years now and it is quite large so taking it out of the house is not an option plz any advice would be great.

miwoodar
09/07/2006, 04:49 PM
I read a good article about this a few years back. The guy did exactly what you are planning on doing but then he pumped in clean air from outside the house to maintain a "POSITIVE PRESSURE" within the bubble which encased the tank. The positive pressure is very important as only a little bit of fumes could cause major problems. You might be able to do it with a 6" desk fan and some PVC piping or ductwork (does anyone have other ideas?). Don't forget to shut off the lights so the tank doesn't overheat.

...now...if only someone could tell me a way to refinish the hardwood floor underneath my tank I would be forever grateful.

Ooulophilia
09/07/2006, 09:22 PM
Rather than having to pump air from outside, would a scuba tank and a one way air valve work?

ERICN
09/08/2006, 12:52 PM
I only need it closed up for 4 hours this is a 150 gal tank wont they be ok for 4 hours without a airline ?

Randall_James
09/08/2006, 07:05 PM
4 hours should not be any problem at all unless you have high bioloads.

On the flip side, just enough compressed air flow (enough to bubble) would create a positive pressure inside the "safe" area to keep any poison out as long as the thing is sealed

KH971
09/08/2006, 08:08 PM
The positive pressure ran by a small air pump and 1/4 tubing would be perfect.

KH971
09/08/2006, 08:09 PM
Run the pump outside and the line through a window or door opening.

Sk8r
09/08/2006, 08:13 PM
I've shut down power all but bubblers from an air pump in the base and tightly plastic-wrapped and taped the entire tank. Especially if you can get the service to come early while its still cool, you can have a few hours before you need worry. Then throw up all windows and run fans, all evening after you get back in. You can run an air hose from outside, but you have to be sure fumes aren't out there, too.

Hoggn
09/09/2006, 06:54 AM
I would also run some carbon afterwards just to me safe...

Laakmann
09/10/2006, 01:55 PM
if a friend has a scuba tank that sounds like the easiest thing to me, just let it seap a little air into the enclosure, you jsut have to make sure it lasts the entire 4 hrs.

ERICN
09/11/2006, 09:10 AM
Thx for the advice guys all went well just sealed it up with pallet shrink wrap no air line and all was fine so far everything looks great

Randall_James
09/11/2006, 09:17 AM
Good to hear

Perhaps a fresh batch of carbon would be a good move just for peace of mind ?