PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is in my tank?

xlayedoutx
09/07/2006, 02:47 PM
So around 12 last night I remembered that I hadn't added my top off water. The lights had been off for about an hour in the tank and when I turned on the kitchen light there were tons of what looked like baby fish swimming around. Well I couldn't tell if they were baby fish or baby shrimp but there had to be at least 75 to 100 of them. I wish I could have gotten a picture or at least a better description but they wouldn't stay still long enough. None of my fish looked prego and the only ones it could have been are the clowns or the chromis, and they didn't look prego at all. I've never had a shrimp in the tank although when I first set everything up I noticed what looked to be a small mysis looking shrimp swimming around but he soon got sucked into a powerheard. Anyways to me they looked like shrimp running across the sand and all over the rocks but I couldn't see any legs or antenna's. My roommate took a look and said they looked like baby fish to her.

Description- Different sizes, transparent body with digestive track visable. Thats about it. Just tons of them though.

What do you guys think?

Travis L. Stevens
09/07/2006, 03:02 PM
Most likely Mysid Shrimp. It's fairly common to see them in marine aquariums.

gman19
09/08/2006, 09:12 AM
Probably mysis.

I have them in my overflow boxes. They are NEVER still enough to get a good look at them, but they appear as you described.

datfishxpert
09/08/2006, 10:38 AM
100% sure thats what they are it night if you shine a small light into the tank you will see them skipping around. They are harmless and a great food source for fish and some corals.