PDA

View Full Version : Bimac goes to school.

NHreefer
06/11/2002, 03:18 PM
Today I took my bimac into my niece's 4th grade class at BiCentennial in Nashua, NH. today. He impressed both the class and myself. He was his typical playful self walking alll around and when feed a piece of shrimp he attacked it in less than a minute. I also showed a 5 minute video I made of all my tanks. The kids asked me questions for 30 minutes. I had a blast. I can't tell you how awesome it was to see a whole class smiling and asking questions about him. It was the best show and tell I've ever been too. I can also say he transported well, after the show, a 75 year old man broadsided us, and after going to the ER, getting a rental, etc. He is happy as a clam back in his uncovered (still doh) 10 gal. One of the kids asked me my favorite fish that I showed, regal, blueface, asfur, queen, in my other tanks and I told him my octo. because when I get home he always comes out to play and won't stop until I do. I just thought I'd share this with you because telling them about, scuba, fish, ocean, etc. it was nice to see so many smiling eyes.
Later Chris

Rudiger
06/11/2002, 03:37 PM
Wow. How did you transport him?? Glad you are okay after the car crash. Sounds like you have a very hardy and very playful/active octo!

pat

NHreefer
06/11/2002, 04:12 PM
I put him in one of those Blue terarium things that alot of octo's are held in at stores, then I tipped it sideways in a IO 5gal bucket with drilled holes on top and used a 2d battery backup pump.
I'm better than the car which they think is totalled, we'll see.
Thnaks Chris

Rudiger
06/11/2002, 05:23 PM
Yes my next question was going to be how could it have survived in a bucket, but you answered it, a battery powered pump :)

CalvinC4S
06/12/2002, 01:30 PM
I cought my Bimac in the kitchen this weekend. It is a 31" tall tank and had to climb down about 6.5 feet to the floor. You have been super lucky! It was a sad sight to see him on the floor. You might want to get a cover soon. For a 10 gallon I wouldn't think it to cost more than 15$. I have lined the canopy of my tank with out door turf. I guess they can't climb it; well see. :)

cephalopoder
06/12/2002, 03:09 PM
Woow that is very very rare. Bimacs are about the least likely octopus to crawl out of your tank. In fact, this is the first time I have ever heard of one actually doing so. Have you checked your water quality? Was the little guy ok when you found it?

CalvinC4S
06/12/2002, 08:36 PM
Yeah I check every saterday.
SG 1.024 (refractometer)
NH3 0 (Salafert)
ALK .42 KH 9.3 (Salafert)
NO2 0 (Salafert)
NO3 25 ppm (Salafert)
temp 78

I have been keeping him full of food too? The day it happend I was teasing it by tapping the top of the tank water. It would rush to the top and squrt water at me. I did this a few times then went to the garage for about half an hour. I walked into the kitchen and it was on the floor. I grabed it and put it back in the water,
it seems to be doing fine after a day of shock. If I wouldnt have been home it would have died.