PDA

View Full Version : need help with 55g supplies

neb123
09/07/2006, 06:42 PM
Hey, Ive been out of the hobby for awhile and I just need a little refresher. Im planning on starting up a 55 gallon with fish and hardy inverts. Thus im planning on live rock, live sand, a protein skimmer, and some nice lighting. I just need a quick refresher on the following:
How much live sand/live rock am i going to need?
Is a protein skimmer and LS/LR enough filtration or should i consider more...(can filters, sump, refuge)?
What wattage should i strive for, considering hardy inverts like zoos/shrooms, and the usuals...shrimp/crabs, will something basic like 48'' 4x65 coralife aqualights be sufficient?
any other suggestions are appreciated, thanks for your help

neb123
09/07/2006, 06:43 PM
oh ya....RO water? necessary or not

rkelman
09/07/2006, 06:48 PM
Live rock my opinion is at least 55lbs same as the sand 50lb for a couple inches of sand.. I have a can filter that's doing basically nothing so I'd say its not required... Protien skimmer is way more important. Refuge would be a great addition. Don't go with PC lighting get T5's or Mh now. Do it right the first time. I'm not sure about wattage. I'm going with either 2 x 250w Mh or a 6 bulb T5 retro kit in my 65 if that's any help to you. (I'm sure someone who knows lighting will chime in) I don't know about a Ro/di setup. I don't have and my tank is fine but I'm on a well so no chlorine ect. Good luck!